How can I print a list of files on my USB drive?

Joan November 23, 2011

Can I print a list of all the files on my USB drive? If so, how? I use a Windows 7 machine at the Library. Your site is great!

1. Stivinn Aura

I know, Jay. After hunting for the best free OCR for more than a year, I settled with 
    Microsoft's Document Imaging Utility (plus, the Snipping Tool increases its accuracy). I tried DIU's OCR on your comment. The screenshot is exactly the reason why I use Microsoft's Document Imaging Utility. :)

• Stivinn Aura

My apologies, the last comment was supposed to be a reply to Jay's comment. :)

• duncan

i second MS' document imaging utility. its better than most free ocr suites.

if you just want a print out of list, ocr is not necessary, just print the screenshot, unless you want to edit it in a new format.

• Stivinn Aura

I find printing becomes a lot easier with text. Mainly because manipulating font size becomes imperative thanks to the desktop resolution. Text in screenshots either come out very small or garbled. A workaround is lower desktop resolution, but you might know how big a pain it is working with images in lower-resolution.

Hence the need for extracting file names as text.

yes, that's true. that's why i said, unless you want to edit it.

and the text extracted by ocr sometimes, gives you wrong output.
        v becomes  y
        we just faced this problem in a question.
        so both can be applied according to the situation.

3. Stivinn Aura

The way I do it:

1. Arrange all items in the folder in List view.
    2. Hit the Print Screen button, and save the screenshot as an TIFF image from Paint.
    3. Open Document Imaging from the Office folder in Start Menu. (Document Imaging is not installed by default in Office 2007). You can use other OCR software if you like, but this utility works better than most of them. Plus, it's faster and more accurate. :)
    4. Open the TIFF screenshot in Document Imaging and click the "Recognize Text Using OCR" button.
    5. Select all the file/folder names, copy, and paste it in Word. Do a little bit of Enter and Spacebar here-and-there.
    6. When done with the remaining files, hit Print.

4. Ray

I needed to do this but a bit more complex.  

I needed extended properties like video Height and width, data rate, bit rate, frame rate, play length etc.

To do this with the tools I used you need Windows 7 and Office 2007 or newer.

My first solution was arrange columns in Windows explorer.

I opened the optionally installed Document Imaging Utility (DIU) in Office (MSPView.exe).

Using the Snipping Tool from Windows 7 I cut the rectangle and paste into left side of DIU,  Scroll down Cut another batch and paste into DIU repeating until done.

Then involk the Tools/Send to Word.   This converts everything to text and put's it (unformatted) into word.

I then cut from word, paste to Excel and split to columns for the calculations I intended to do...

In the end, I incorporated the complete process into a little VB App.   Took many days of searching to find the explanation of how to access extended properties in VB.  But once you have it, it's much simpler.

Now I can get lists by directory, play list, and combinations...  The only thing it needs is a selection capacity for the properties you are interested in.  I never needed others so did not go there.

thanks

6. Lee

If you don't want to download any software, you can just use the command prompt. Go to Start and type in CMD. Then type (assuming E: is the root of your flash drive, just replace it with whatever the drive letter is):
    tree E: /f > tree.txt

This will make a list of all files (in every directory, so it might take a little bit) and store them in a file called tree.txt. Then you can print this file.

Directory List
    & Print
    http://www.infonautics.ch/directorylistprint/
    The software is portable and can run from usb key. There is a freeware or shareware versions.

one thought is :
    sort the files in list view or detail or according to your choice.
    and print the screenshot :)
    (paste everything on the root folder)

.

10. Vivek K M

CD Catalog software should help... Google it.. you'll find many!! :)