Can I print over the Internet to my Epson Stylus printer?

Antonio Lordelo January 16, 2012

I have an Epson Stylus Photo PX720wd and it’s WiFi enabled. However, this printer, while connected to my home network through WiFi, needs a computer to receive print jobs. Unlike HP’s ePrint enabled printers, it won’t print from the internet directly. Is there a workaround?

1. Kiowa Jones

that would still necessitate leaving a computer turned on.

2. Ewleonardspock

You can print using a VPN service such as Hamachi.  You just need to share the printer from the host computer and then install it on the client computer.

• Kiowa Jones

closest reply I've seen yet; VPN into your home network to print.
      Depending on the properties of your VPN setup, and what traffic is routed through it, you may or may not have to use the EpsonNet Utility.

Now you just have to be able to VPN from the network you are on.

• Antoniolordelo

Still sounds like I'd need a computer on my home network. That's what I want to work around. I can't afford having a computer always running just for the printer.

3. Abraham Dolindo

yes! if your printer installed on the computer with live ip address.

Hello, if your printer is similar to artisan 725, you could use the app in the link below. It shows the artisan 725 in the compatibility list:

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/jsp/EpsonConnect/Home.do?cookies=no&ref=van_connect_mobile_printing_2011-10-001&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes

• Antoniolordelo

yes, it's compatible only with the EPSON iPrint app, which only works with nearby printers... thanks though

Hello, I was going to suggest Epson Connect Email print, but your printer does not appear in compatibility list:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/EpsonConnect/EmailPrintCompatibility.do?frmPage=overview&
    BV_SessionID=@@@@1801441789.1326777906@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccehadffjjmieldcfngcfkmdhjidfmh.0&cookies=no#t_compatibility

Compatibility list:
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/EpsonConnect/Home/Compatibility.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1801441789.1326777906@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccehadffjjmieldcfngcfkmdhjidfmh.0&cookies=no

I am afraid at this point I have no more options to provide.  If I find something that works, I would let you know.  I have an HP printer that works pretty well with google print.

Hello, yes Google cloud print should work.  If you have a gmail account you are all ready.  All you have to do is open your Chrome browser and do the following:

-- open chrome brower
    -- clicl on wrench
    -- click on options
    -- click on under the bonnet
    -- scroll down until you reach the Google Cloud Print header
    -- click on sign in to Google Cloud Print

To disable the service just follow same steps as above and click on sign out of Google Cloud Print.

• Antoniolordelo

I've tried that and that way it still needs to have a computer connected to it on the network. What I'd like to be able to do is have the printer connected to my router at home and nothing else, then print from wherever I am.

This is possible with HP ePrint enabled printers, as I have come to find out. Those are even all set to work along with Google Cloud Print with no help from a computer running Chrome.

I was wondering if there is a way to have my wifi enabled printer REALLY print from anywhere and not just from jobs it receives from a computer in the network.

Hello, have you try downloading the Epson Net print software?  According to manufacturer, Epson Net print utility does the following: "EpsonNet Print is utility software that provides printing that does not require a dedicated server for printing

using a TCP/IP network".  To try this software and download drivers and firmware you need for your printer, visit the next link:

http://www.epson.co.uk/Store/Printers-and-All-in-Ones/Epson-Stylus-Photo-PX720WD/Drivers-Support

• Antoniolordelo

Yes, that comes with the installation CD but it still only allows me to configure it to print while connected to a LAN. There are no other options. And if it were to allow configuration for print jobs coming from outside of the network, it would still require for a computer to be connected to the network the printer is connected to. This is precisely what I want to work around.

I don't want to have to connect the printer to any computer through a local network. Since it's WiFi enabled, I just want it to be able to print from whatever f-#$?@!-ing place I might be, while the bloody thing is sitting at home connected solely to the internet through WiFi.

I'm just kind of mad because when I bought the thing they told me it could "print from the internet". So before going back to return a $130 printer and argue that they're wrong I'd like to find out if there really is a way.So, thank you for all your help, but my question is, can I achieve this? Or have you no idea like me?

I have heard Googles Cloud Print works rather well. I have never used it myself, always seemed a bit of a security risk. 

http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/