How can I use a primary hard drive from an Intel Pentium computer in an AMD computer?
Question by Norman /

I have an Intel Pentium 4 computer and an AMD computer. I am trying to switch the hard drive from the Pentium to the AMD computer without losing all the information on the hard drive. I want to keep a lot of the programs and I dont have the actavation codes for them.

When I put the hard drive in the AMD, it says enter disk. I don’t have the disc for the hard drive.

Practically inserting and using the hard drive will work just fine following everyones advice above. I doubt very much that windows will actually boot though. Unlike Macs, windows installs arent really portable – they install a bunch of drivers and stuff specific to your PC components, so that if you were to suddenly change the very core of your machine, windows tend to splutter out and die with random errors and boot problems. 

You may be faced with the arduos tasks of reinstalling apps, and manually re-typing in the license codes. Transferring data files themselves is no problem. Also, Windows may give you licensing issues if it was purchased as OEM with the computer, as technically the install is tied to that hardware, so if you need to change the hardware then your license will no longer validate. 

You should probabaly look at updating to Windows 7 anyway though, XP is pretty easily hackable nowadays and 7 is far better in many respects. Think of this as an opportunity to upgrade your OS ;)

It can depend on how the windows is activated and if its OEM or related to the motherboard, OEM systems are stuck with the mobo they were originally installed. If, however,
    you have a genuine MS version of the OS, it might work.  You could also Install Linux make a dual boot add the hard drive on AMD reboot dual boot and check if windows boot good then you can remove Linux?

Hello, it would be helpful if you could post the operating system you are running.  You can definitely use the hard drive in an AMD computer.  As long as the motherboard has the right connections for it (IDE, SATA) you can use any harddrive on any computer.  The problem you are having is that the configuration for your Pentium IV and the AMD are different based on hardware.  If you are running windows xp, you could probably use the bootcfg command to repair your installation once you have installed the drive on the AMD computer.  In order for you to run this command you need the xp installation disk and also you need to install the recovery console.  The recovery console can be installed from the installation disk.  You already said that you do not have a disk, do you know anybody that can let you use the disk?  If you have the disk, you could use the following command:
    —  bootcfg /scan
    —  bootcfg /rebuild

For more information, you could read the content of the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

If you are using windows vista/7, you can use the the bootrec command.  Once your harddrive is installed, you need a recovery/installation disk and follow the instructions:

— When starting computer, make sure to go into BIOS and change the startup to cd/dvd– Insert the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive– restart computer– press a key when prompted– select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method,– click next– click Repair your computer.– select operating system that you want to repair, — click next– select command prompt In the System Recovery Options dialog box,– type the following command bootrec.exe /FixMbr, press enter bootrec.exe /FixBoot press enter

In your case, you might have to use the /RebuildBcd command also.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

The easiest way of all would be to spend a little bit of money and get the software.  With this software, all you have to do is install the drive on the amd computer , install the software and then run it.  It will move your operating and all its contents to the disk and make the transition without any problems and headaches:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/dc-professional/

• Norman Hensley

Sorry it took awhile to get back I am running a xp pro on the intel hard drive I do have a xp pro disk but its for another computer

Hello, I am assuming that the disks you have are OEM and if you got them when you got your computer they are attached to your hardware.  I am not sure about your disk but maybe if you explore the disk you have , it may contain the installation files for the recovery console. 

How to install/use recovery console:
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654#howtouserc

You could try the following command in command prompt, if the file is contained in your i386 folder it would install the recovery console for you:

%windir%i386winnt32.exe /cmdcons