How do I prevent these Windows blue screen messages from happening again?

Mel August 2, 2010

The blue screens I’ve got recently:
http://hypnotique.clavis-sama.com/date.html
http://hypnotique.clavis-sama.com/driver.html sorted by driver

These drivers/modules aren’t listed above and may have been involved in causing the blue screens:
ironx86.sys
npfs.sys
nvlddmkm.sys
ps2.sys
symevent.sys
usbport.sys
volmgr.sys
win32k.sys

Most of the blue screens are caused by ntkrnlpa.exe – NT Kernel & System.

This situations also happens…
Day L ~ I don’t use the computer for a whole day.
Day M ~ I use the computer and it works normally.
Day N ~ I use the computer and there’s a blue screen again!

I think not using the computer is a temporary fix and also not the best solution for preventing blue screens.

1. The Spade Queen

I have exactly the same problem as he has. The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT errors are recurrent.

I had this error in my previous installation of Win7 but after a while - I don't know how - it just stopped. Now that I reinstalled the OS I'm having the problem back.

Anyone figured out what causes it?

2. Josh Fox

It's possible that you've gotten a virus that corrupted system files. If this is the case, the first thing to do is get rid of them. There's a lot of free antivirus software out there, but my favorites are SuperAntiSpyware, which has free and portable versions available, Clamwin Antivirus, and running some cleanup probably couldn't hurt, so CCleaner might be a good idea.

If you have your Windows install CD, not an OEM restore disk, you can do a repair installation by booting to the CD and proceeding as normal until you get to the "Install now" button. That's where you would click "Repair your computer" at the bottom left of that window. This will give you a wizard for it to look for problems and fix them. If it doesn't find any problems, even when you know for a fact that there are problems, you might need to do a clean install after backing everything up.

If it comes to a clean install, make sure you have everything backed up first. A checklist might help. Some common things are documents, music, bookmarks, email, and installers for everything you have installed. Backing up your entire home folder might be the easiest way to get everything except for the installers unless you have them saved there. Just for good measure on this note, if you use iTunes, make sure to de-authorize your account on that computer before reinstalling.

For the sake of your time and files, I hope that it doesn't come to doing a clean install.

There are articles on MakeUseOf for antivirus software and repairing Windows, so you don't need to go far for help on those.

• Mel

Hmm, a virus causing the BSODs …
      I currently have AVG anti-virus free, Norton Internet Security and Spyware Doctor …

Ok I'll try your tips and see if the blue screens will vanish.

Hey Mel,

Any luck getting rid of BSODs? Josj mentioned a few security programs, did you try them?

Aibek