How can I prevent the URL from showing when a viewer hovers over an annotation in my YouTube video?

Darren Nash April 20, 2012

I was just wondering if there is a way to stop a URL from showing up on Youtube Annotations when the mouse hovers over it?

Essentially I’m trying to create an interactive quiz on Youtube. Each question has four possible answers – one correct and three wrong.

I’ve set up a “Spotlight’ annotation on each answer, with the correct answer going to a Youtube video saying congratulations and the other three wrong answers going to a ‘Sorry but your wrong’ Youtube video.

The problem is that if someone hovers the mouse over all the answers they can see from the URL that appears that three take you one video and one takes you to a different video – so it’s obvious that the odd one out is the correct answer.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

1. jhpot

Well, I've no idea what's going on here, but it sure seems like a well put together quiz. Very cool.

• Darren Nash

lol Yes, the quiz itself is based on a British Sci-fi show called Dr.Who. It's very popular in certain countries and totally unheard of in others.

As to the rollover issue - no-one seems to have minded it so far - but I'd still like to know if there's a way to get rid of them.

If I do find a way, I'll try and post it here.

• jhpot

I've seen a bit of Dr. Who, but not enough to know what's going on here. I look forward to hearing any answers you find!

2. jhpot

You could use a URL shortener, like bit.ly, to shorten the URL. That would mask it, so people couldn't read the URL in the popup. 

• Darren Nash

Many thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately it appears to only let me add Youtube Channels or videos into the links page :-(

I had hoped there could be some parameter like showinfo=0 that I could add to the URL - but I think it only works on embed links.