How can I prevent a program from opening when Windows boots if it is not listed in MS Config?

Madis Otenurm April 1, 2012

I have a program that runs on every startup. It can’t be disabled (from startup) by msconfig, because it’s built-in.

So, is there any way to prevent Windows from accessing it? (Opening could display access error popup, it’s ok.)

When I previously asked it, Answerer 1 recommended a startup disabler. Sadly, my app wasn’t there so please help me prevent Windows from opening it *at all*. Not at startup, not when I click on it, not when some other program wants to open it. Please!

No questions about what it is, why do you want to disable it etc. please!

• robotkoer

Thank you, but somehow it's shortcut deleted itself. I tried to install it again and then it required restarting. Anyway, will try to mess with it for a bit, still would be better if you suggested something better.

try this 
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftActive SetupInstalled Components{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
        then on the right corner where you see IsInstalled the value is 1 try0.
        now if you click on IE will not run
        hope i am not wrong.

AppAdmin
        http://sordum.3eeweb.com/?p=6179

"No questions about what it is, why do you want to disable it etc. please!"  Answers to these kinds of questions can help us narrow down the options of where and how it is starting up, so it is useful in order for you to get an answer.

The second one will tell us if we want ot help you at all.  For example, if you are attempting to circumvent something that was installed by a network administrator (or parent) in order to help security or prevent minors from accessing certain sites, etc., it may not be in anyone's best interest for you to have the answer.

So if you want a "no questions asked" policy regarding your reasons or details of what you are attempting to do, you should not expect a working answer.  By asking a question in this manner only leads us to suspect less than honorable intentions on your part.

• robotkoer

Uhh... Ok, I will tell it. It's Internet Explorer (:D) and I want to disable it as someone (some other tech support) put it into startup somehow + real computer user wants to use it instead of Chrome.

I don't want to totally remove it as I might need it when some other browser fails and I redownload it...