How can I prevent people from downloading images from my website or webpage?

Reymaz October 6, 2011

1. Joe Smith

what is your website? (so I can download your images).  ctrl-a (select all), ctrl-c (copy), ctrl-v (paste).   Snippet in Windows 7 works well also.

when you view a site, images are downloaded and saved in the cache folder.

if you can get your hands on Flash or a pre-made Flash "movie" file, you can allow the image to be viewed but not easily downloadable
    look for some javascript that will render the picture. JS has the ability to disable menu and mouse actions.
    How Do I Stop People From Downloading My Graphics?
    http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/web1/how_do_i_stop_downloading.htm

Go to any of your albums on fb, and click edit album..and change the privacy settings according to your choice ..like public, friends of friends..particular list or particular friends.
    for the wall photos album, you can select privacy settings for individual pics.

With these privacy settings, you can share your data with just a few selected people.

Or you can also create a closed or secret group on facebook, and add some selected friends to the group...if your viewers are facebook users only.

As it was already pointed out you cannot fully prevent it. In order to view a picture it has to be downloaded - period.

My personal suggestion to add a layer of protection is to display images using the background style and overlay them with a transparent 1x1px

Put the actual images size within width and height

You don't have to disable right-click and most people trying to steal your picture won't notice they got an empty transparent pixel until they go about viewing those files.

We used to have that? How tragic. I'm sure the last webmaster learnt his lesson and promptly removed it. 

Disabling right-click is one very good way to seriously piss off your users. Not only does it prevent right-click -> save image, it also prevents right click-> anything. 

Prehaps it's better than you rethink your content strategy entirely. If your work has some kind of commercial value to it, then display a low-resolution, watermakred image; then set up a payment gateway to download the full versions. 

I know it is a private photo but..When
      he used the words "page" and "they", I thought that thelink refers to a fanpage and not a fb profile...So I explained fan page settings. and
      asked him about the particular fan page.

You can post it as  new question.

Restricting your visitors from saving images is may be not a good idea. It can annoy them,
    either share it, or don't.
    peole love to download what they find interesting.
    those who don't like the pics will not care, and those who want to download, will not like the restrictions.

you can use low resolution images, so people can see it, but can't use it for many things.

even the watermarks can be removed with photoshop.But there are chances that people will share your images with watermark, and your site will be promoted.

@e0e16e986203f4af19be029197b2d65c:disqus  content is not available, may be should also post the link of the page and not only photo.
    You can restrict your page content by country and language..may be this page is doing the same.but all i see right now is "This content is currently unavailable"

The content is not available because its a private facebook photo. 

Disable right click,
    but they still can save it re enabling right click
    set your images to load directly from server,
    but they can get it from cache
    Set the images to be downloaded in parts,
    so they cant get it from cache
    Disable the clipboard.,
    so they cant take a screenshot.
    but they will keep saving your images and finding solutions if they have knowledge and/or google.

This service does all this things if you dont want to do it by yourself, and it is not free.
    http://www.freewayactions.com/product.php?id=006

you can not completely stop them, but these methods will certainly prevent many people from saving your pics.

10. Ryan Dube

Reymaz, Jeff has the right idea. I do think that disabling right click is a good approach only because it'll stop at least 60 to 70% of people that would quickly try to steal your images and aren't savvy enough to figure out how to bypass the script.

http://javascript.about.com/library/blnoright.htm
    http://rainbow.arch.scriptmania.com/scripts/no_right_click.html

Add on the addition of Jeff's idea - your own watermark - and you'll have probably the best approach possible. Like Jeff said, the browser needs to download the image to display them, so your options are very limited.

You can put the images in another folder and protect it with a password or your HTacess file, however if the images are displayed, the browser has to download them. All webpages, content and resources are downloaded and displayed to the user locally. You can prevent right clicking, to stop the "save this image" function, but honestly it's not that hard to bypass. 

In other words, I don't think this can be done. 

I was goign to say exactly the same thing - viewing a page = downloading, so therefore 100% impossible.