How can I prevent my laptop from overheating?

Nouri Alnahawi May 15, 2012

My laptop is overheating. It’s an HP laptop that belongs to my sister. The repair company she dealt with told her it couldn’t be fixed. When I look at the temperature in SpeedFan, it reaches up to 90 degrees Celsius before it shuts down. Is there anything I can do?

1. charlotte

Maybe you have some tabs open when it overheats . My sister uses MMD and she was rendering something.... (MMD is a dance programe) Anyway I hope this helps

2. vishal

Hello,

I had a similar issue in my Hp laptop and here is what i did(i spent months trying to figure out a solution), used laptop cooling device etc.

I used a vacuum cleaner and sucked clean the fan suction and discharge portions and lo. the avg temperature which used to be as high as 85 deg, went back to 55 deg. Please try this and let me know if it helps. this would take hardly 5 min to do and i dont see any harm in doing it. The other options can then be taken if this doesnt help.

3. Danny

Disassemble it and clean off the thermal paste and replace it with some new good quality stuff.

4. Nouri Alnahawi

Thanks for all the feedback guys. :D These are really good tips.

5. Sachin Kanchan

you can use some of the simple steps to ease the workload on your laptop:

1.right click on (C:) drive, go to properties .
    2.go to the tools tab.
    3.choose 'disk cleanup' and in the dialog box that appears, check all the boxes and click on 'clean'.

another is defragmenting.
    1.right click on a drive, go to properties .
    2.go to the tools tab.
    3.choose 'disk defragmenter' and in the dialog box that appears, select a drive and click on "defragment".
    4.after it is completed, defragment other drives as well.

Try removing unnecessary files etc from the laptop, or transferring to an external hard drive if any.

If overheating still persists, get a laptop 'coolerpad' ; it is generally usb powered so will drain the battery fast, but u can use your laptop while on AC power.
    A simple and good coolerpad might cost around $15-$20.

6. Oron

Hi Nouri,
    You don't say how long it takes the laptop to reach 90 degrees. If it's a matter of a few or minutes, then it's a faulty fan or an unstuck heat-sink. If it's much longer than that, it could be just a dirty fan. If it's the former, read the first article in Kannon Y's response to find out how to clean the laptop internally and replace the thermal grease.

Hello, can you tell me what the model of the laptop is? There were a few models a few years back like the dv6000 and dv9000 where there was an issue with overheating and affected the graphics card and wireless. The only way of fixing it was to change the motherboard but the issue would happen again after a few months.

There are some things you could try to prevent or at least minimize the risk of overheating. One of them is to make sure to use laptop in flat surfaces. Do not place it on your knees, beds, couches, etc. Another thing would be to use a USB laptop cooler. They are not that expensive and for the most part work, only thing is to make sure to get one that suits your laptop.

I would say in your case, you would need to have your laptop cooler fan cleaned and also the vents. If you are not confident about doing it yourself, you can take it to a certifiied laptop technician. Laptop would have to be open completely, cooler fan cleaned out of dust and dust bunnies and also the exhaust vent. It is also possible that there is something wrong with fan. A fan, like anything else can stop working and it might need to be replaced.

• Kannon Y

You have an excellent memory Fidelis!

The dv6000 and dv9000 were some of the worst laptops I've ever worked on. I seem to remember that the source of their problems was an overheating GPU, but never got a chance to experiment, as they always arrived DOA (and we were warned to avoid replacing the mobo). It seemed that two things may have fixed the problem - replacing the GPU thermal grease and undervolting/underclocking the GPU.

By the way, both models had a class action lawsuit. After the lawyers settle and take their cut, people involved usually get about $20.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PCs-Pavilions-Presario/DV6000-DV9000-and-others-The-Nvidia-GPU-Class-action-suit/td-p/2345541

Hello, as a matter of fact I had the honor.....of fixing temporarily some of them. It was a matter of disassembling them completely and use a torch to heat up the gpu so that the soldering points would heat up enough to go back to original positions. Once that was done, is was a matter of putting a copper plate or even an old penny instead of the foam that was placed on top of gpu. Of course that fix was good for a few months or weeks and then try it again.

• Nouri Alnahawi

Thx :)

There's a great number of things you can do - some of which will be incompatible with your computer, however, at least a few of these tricks should work:

First, read this article:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-overheating-laptop/

My favorite first tip is to underclock your machine. My favorite utility is Throttlestop:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.html

If you have Core2Duo, please try undervolting, which can also be done using Throttlestop. If you don't know the first thing about how to undervolt, please feel free to ask any questions you'd like. Be aware that if you accidentally overvolt your machine, damage will result.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/235824-undervolting-guide.html

Also, try accessing the fan settings in the BIOS. Aggressive/fast/strong fan settings are superior to anything else.

Another interesting method is to undervolt/underclock your GPU (if you have Nvidia based graphics). MSi afterburner is a great product - I used this to drop GPU temps on a media center from 50C to 32C, but this requires an Nvidia based GPU:

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

A final method (and there are quite a few other methods, in particular, you should consider getting a laptop cooling device) is using a superior quality thermal compound on your CPU or GPU. The best is probably Indigo Xtreme:

http://indigo-xtreme.com/

I've never used the stuff, but according to the company making it, it drops CPU temps substantially.

• Nouri Alnahawi

Gee these are really a lot of things. Haha just kidding :) However, I think that a specific fan or cooler inside the Laptop is damaged or simply not working at all. I'll try these methods first, but supposing that it's not related to software or so, can I replace a broken piece myself, or do I need pro. assistance. I know my way around PCs but with Laptops I'm a little unsure.
      Thanks again :D

• Kannon Y

Thanks for the feedback!

Some of these solutions take a lot of time to get working right - particularly undervolting. Others will require a technician's help (like replacing the thermal compound/grease). Some aren't compatible with all CPUs (undervolting). I highly suggest reading the MUO article because it has some quick fixes, like using a cooling ball/pad.

Fidelis (see above) is absolutely correct. HP had a problem with overheating GPUs on a range of laptops (zv, dv and more).

Basically, what would happen on these boards is that the graphics processor unit would run so hot that it would, over time, destroy the motherboard. I believe it would actually desolder itself from the motherboard, so the temps we're talking about are really high.

Therefore any solution would focus on the GPU, not CPU.

To answer your question, if you have one of the DV or ZV (and there are others), it may have a class action lawsuit in the works or recall.