How do I prevent Google from auto-correcting my search terms?

Laga Mahesa October 16, 2012

If I type “godwar” that’s what I’m looking for, not “God of War”. This is really starting to annoy me as I now have to go through the extra steps of quoting and punctuating my searches, which is not the most comfortable procedure on a smartphone.

I get that many users are a bit slack in the cognitive department, but punishing everyone else like this is taking a page from Microsoft: “Let’s hide the fine tuning options in an obscure dark recess behind an arcane sigil so the little corporate secretary darlings don’t get a coronary.”

So, how do I stop Google interpreting and auto-correcting my search results?

1. Mike Merritt

Sorry Folks - I like the auto-correction. It fixes my spelling errors - and helps me when I'm not sure of the punctuation or word breaks - like: "ThunderMug" ?? Two words ? Hyphenated ? Google usually get's it right and if I don't like what's shown, they give me a link to actually search on what I actually typed. ... It's great ...

2. Siddhant Chaurasia

there is a setting on google that you can do that. i think you have to sign in

Google does not allow you to do this. You have to bear it as all of us. Nothing can be done about it as long as google itself changes it's mind.

• Laga Mahesa

Yeah, it certainly looks that way. Thanks. I'll set this as resolved.

4. Justin Pot

I searched for this and Google said "Did you mean 'I love Google Autocorrect with all my soul and have no desire to turn it off'?"

Now it's getting on my nerves.

Maybe that's why google is very irritating sometimes.

• Laga Mahesa

Hehehe, sorry. It's a bit like one of those "can't unsee" pics, isn't it? :p

5. Deekshith Allamaneni

use "-" switch to remove all unwanted results. For example, if you only want godwar but not "god of war", then use this search term: godwar -"god of war"

• Laga Mahesa

That's even worse than just "godwar". The aim is to avoid having to punctuate at all, which is how it used to be.

6. Drew Butler

Although I have seen this being an issue for some people in a few other forums I haven't been able to find an answer or duplicate the issue. Have you tried disabling instant predictions? That option is available in the settings page.

• Laga Mahesa

Yup, that only affects the drop-down suggestions unfortunately.

• Drew Butler

Does this happen on your pc or only on your phone? If only on your phone what browser are you using?

• Laga Mahesa

everywhere, even on 'sterile' browsers i use for testing.

• Drew Butler

After searching several times on different forums including google groups I have seen a lot of outrage regarding this and a lot of people are even re-considering using google as their primary search engine. I am sure I would have found an answer by now if it was possible to disable this "feature" but I bet google will be evaluating this due to all the user backlash. I will comment back if I find out anything else and would appreciate it if you would as well if you find a resolution.

• Laga Mahesa

That I will do, thanks Drew. It is a real pest that is annoying on the desktop but is crippling on mobile. It wasn't always like this, I don't know when the switch was made but it reminds me of the phrase, 'dumbing down', which is most often used to describe PC games co-developed for consoles.