How can I prevent Firefox from clearing the Cache automatically?
Question by Aditya /

I am using Firefox 4 and whenever I restart my browser, the cache files are being deleted. I want them to be deleted only when I manually delete them.

I did not face this problem with earlier versions of Firefox.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , .
Awesome Webs & Tips
Awesome Webs & Tips
Stay Incognito On The Web
Stay Incognito On The Web
Online Security Tips
Online Security Tips
Tips for Privacy Obsessed
Tips for Privacy Obsessed
New Security Breaches
New Security Breaches

Aditya,

you can turn off automatic clearing of the cache in Firefox 4. Go to > Tools / Firefox > Options > Privacy tab. Either uncheck the > Clear history when Firefox closes or click the > Settings... button and uncheck > Cache. Ok your changes and you should be good.

• Aditya Saraf

Thanks for your reply.

But I had already unchecked that option before and the problem still persists.

It is only Cache that is being deleted my Browsing and Search History is being preserved.

• Aditya Saraf

Thanks for your reply.

As you mentioned, that option is already unchecked. Moreover, I am facing this issue only with Cache. Browsing and Search History is being preserved.

Aditya,

how can you tell that your cache is cleared?

Did you uncheck the > Clear history option or just the > Cache option within > Settings?

There are also options to clear site data within the > Settings, maybe that's what you are experiencing, i.e. the clearing of offline website data and site preferences.

• Aditya Saraf

Problem solved......

I did some changes in about:config and under Options>Advanced>Network> Unchecked "Override automatic cache management"

Now, the cache is preserved even if I restart my browser.

To answer how can I tell that my cache is being cleared everytime I restart the browser:

I use the Firefox Addon "Brief" RSS Feed Reader. Every time I restart the browser, all the images in MUO posts are being reloded, which was not the case earlier.

Thanks a lot for sharing your solution, Aditya!