How can I prevent email I delete from going to the trash folder first?

Paula D January 10, 2012

I have an iPod that I get my email delivered to. When I delete the email it goes to my trash folder and then I have to open my trash folder to permanently delete my messages.

I want to still be able to read my email on my desktop so I do not want my messages permanently deleted from my internet mail server. Is there any way I can skip the step of having to open my trash folder and then delete my email?

1. Jeanne Kopcinski

When I delete my old emails from the trash or the junk folders it comes back into all my mail. How can I permanently get rid of these old emails, This is on my MacBook Pro laptop.

1. Trash gets automatically deleted every X days. Why do you feel the need to open the trash folder and delete it?

2. If you're using an IMAP provider, mail is synced across clients. If you delete it on one device, then yes, it will be deleted on another. Again, why delete it. Just leave it on your phone! Then read it on the desktop, and then delete it, and forget about it. 

• Kentuckylodge

I know of someone who does not want to receive emails from another person.  Has set up filters and the emails go to the trash.  He is unable to not check that folder and would like to see everything deleted automatically or if not, delete the folder, 'trash".  To each his own.  If you have problems with a particular person and dont want to receive emails from them whatsoever, I can understand.

Hello, have you tried checking if there is an option in your email client to  delete trash automatically when you close your email client?