How can I prevent dust from entering my laptop?

Til Man April 13, 2012

About half a year ago, my laptop started becoming slower and slower and hotter and hotter. As I didn’t find any software issues, I contacted Dell’s support. The conclusion was that the motherboard had to be exchanged. Well, when the support guy came, he noticed that there was a lot of dust inside. In addition to exchanging the motherboard he cleaned the dust, so then everything was fine.

However, now I am again experiencing again the first symptoms as half a year ago: The cooling fan is unusually loud (i.e. turned on all the time) and the laptop feels hotter than normal. Therefore, I assume that there is again too much dust inside.

Please note that I use the laptop ONLY on my desk in an office environment! Is it normal that dust causes such problems? I don’t think exchanging the motherboard every six months is a solution :D But what is? I certainly have no clue how to open the laptop by myself.

1. Antonio F Andrade

Buy a can of compressed from Maplins, and spray it though the fan vents that should get the majority of the dust off, but if the fan still spins all the time, then it could be something more serious.

2. yethz

Its better to open up your laptop and clean the fan and also the airvent, in that way, you are sure that is clean and if heats build up its not hardware issues anymore, and you take a look inside your OS.

I do open and clean my laptop every 2months.

3. John_kearns_canada1

exhaust fans can over spin and die of shot with compressed air put a pin in the blade when off to stop it from over revving when OFF this should be done to any fan you need too clean

4. Susendeep Dutta

The only solution to your overheating laptop is to open it up and clean up the accumulated dust over a regular interval of times and to employ a laptop cooling pad,if the laptop operates for longer period of time. The article links below has step by step instructions with diagrams on how to clean a laptop's specific parts.

How to Clean the Laptop's Cooling System -

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cleaning-Your-Laptop-Cooling-System/

How to Clean a Laptop Keyboard -

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Laptop-Keyboard

How to clean the cooling vents on a laptop(Video) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Le5ruyThR4

You can't stop dust entering your laptop. You should not try to do it either, since any filters etc will block impede ventilation and cause the very problem you are trying to avoid. The best suggestions I have are:
    1. Hoover your laptop from time to time (don't open it, simply point the hoover's nozzle at the CPU exhaust duct). AVOID touching the hoover to the laptop as it generates static electricity while switched on, and can damage the laptop.2. Use an air ioniser a little distance away from the laptop to encourage the dust to fall to the ground, and dust/hoover the room regularly.

6. Matt.Smith

You could try to put a dust filter over the fan vent. Some new high-end PC enclosures now do this to reduce dust intrusion. You'd have to custom-cut it to fit your fan vent, though.

Also try shooting some compressed air inside it to blow out dust. You won't get all of it but it might reduce your problems. 

The only way to clean everything is to open the laptop.