How can I prevent my computer from waking in sleep mod automatically?

Tim Chism October 5, 2012

When I log off and the computer goes to sleep it starts up seemingly for no reason at all, automatically, by itself. I have it set to sleep in 10 minutes if undisturbed so it goes back to sleep but it will restart by its self again.

At first i thought it was receiving updates but it’s not receiving anything . I think something online is waking it up. How can this be fixed?

1. Tim Chism

Problem solved ! New router .
    Tim Chism...

2. Tim Chism

Well I hesitate to say the problem is resolved! Because I know what the problem is but I have no solution for it yet.It is the router and belkin is trying to say there is nothing wrong with it .Just as long as it connects to the internet its good to go as far as they're concerned . So I'm open for suggestions .I'm getting on the phone and see whose feathers I can ruffel . TIM...

Check here to see if any programs are schedule to perform task which require your PC to be woken.
    Start > All Programs > Accessories > Systems Tools > Task Scheduler > expand Task Scheduler Library.

try this Microsoft Fix It 50448 solution.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979878
    A Windows 7-based computer unexpectedly wakes from sleep at a certain time every day

WakeupOnStandBy
    http://www.dennisbabkin.com/wosb/

Well by process of elimination I found out what's going on.don't know why I didn't think of this before.Its the router sending out a false signal.Now to get Belkin to do something about it.Anybody knows how to reprogram a router? naaaa just kidding .I'm going to let Belkin have their headache back . Appreciate the help and insight on things....TIM C...

4. Tim Brookes

Hi Tim,

Do you happen to have a mouse or other peripheral connected? Is the mouse an old ball mouse, optical or laser? I say this because I have an old Intellimouse Optical which randomly lights up and detects movement despite being completely stationary on my desk. I used to experience the same problem - my PC would suddenly wake up out of sleep mode due to detecting mouse movement.

Other peripherals may also cause the problem, you could try removing any connected peripherals and seeing if the problem goes away. Let us know, and good luck.

Tim

• Tim Chism

thinks Tim! thats the first thing HP SUGGESTED.its not that. its picking up something in the line feed. i can unhook the Ethernet and it will sleep until i wake it up.maybe that will give you a little more to go on.But thinks ...TIM...