How do I prevent my computer from constantly crashing and shutting off at random moments?

Cristián T February 14, 2014

So my computer often shuts off at random times which is rather frustrating to deal with since it completely throws me off whatever I was doing on that computer. I was hoping that I could find a solution that will help me get rid of this problem. I notice that sometimes my computer’s fan blows really hard and then the computer just shuts off. Thanks for helping.

1. taylor m

I am actually having this same problem. It has just recently started and will shut down at random times. I am not too computer savvy so a buddy said to try reinstalling Windows , didn't work. Another friend said to try wiping my hard drive but I do not know how to do that. I have a desk top, I have completely dusted it out. It's an ibuy power. Bought it in August of 2012. I am a student so money is kind of an issue but I can find a way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

can be hardware problem like faulty ram, in this case first do memtest and then try to replace ram with new ones.
      try to flash/update BIOS, replace cmos battery.

try to work the laptop with and without battery to see if the problem is solved if yes then can be the battery.

2. David B

I guess it is not a laptop.
    If the video card is not onboard, it may be the cause. Try testing to make sure. Open some graphically demanding game and see if it shuts down or has some glitches on the screen. Or you can use benchmark tests for GPU.
    If it is possible, use a software to monitor your CPU, GPU temperature.

If you make sure the problem is not the hardware than you have a problem with your Operating System.

I agree with Hovsep & Dragonmouth that is sounds like a heat-related problem.
    Is this a desktop PC or a laptop? If a desktop, it could also be caused by a "tired" power supply (PC PSUs reduce in performance over time, and after a few years they may not produce enough power to sustain the computer when running at full tilt).
    If it's heat related, it could be that it just needs a clean, but also (particularly on laptops), that the thermal paste has de-bonded. In that case, you'll need to remove the heat sink (a metal radiator attached to the processor), clean it thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol or citrus cleaner, apply new paste and attach again. There is a technique to this, and it would take too much space to describe it here, but you can watch a video or two on Youtube to see how it's done. The main thing is - use very little thermal paste!.

4. dragonmouth

Sounds like your computer is overheating because of accumulated dust. You do not say what type of a computer it is (desktop, laptop, tablet, etc.) If it is a desktop, unplug it, open it up, using a compressed air canister blow out the accumulated dust, close everything up and boot up.

• Cristián T

I have a Dell Studio 1558, a laptop.

did you check Event Viewer, Locate an error that occurred around the time of the problem
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-information-event-logs-event-viewer#1TC=windows-7
    which version of Windows do you have?

Open Control Panel-Power Options-Change Plan Settings-Change Advanced Power Settings-Click on Sleep-Allow Hybrid Sleep (set this to OFF).

it can be your power supply.

• Cristián T

When I checked Event Viewer, I noticed that there was one "critical" item that said Event ID: 41; Source: Kernel-Power; Log: System. It also says that this error has occurred twice in the past hour, 4 times in the last 24 hours, and 17 times in the past 7 days. That seems about accurate in terms of how many times my computer has randomly shut off.

To answer your question, I run Windows 7 Home Premium on my computer.

I also tried disabling Allow Hybrid Sleep, but it appears it was already disabled in the first place.

It's very strange that it would be my power supply that is causing the problem, since I replaced my battery a couple of months ago. Anyways, if this is the case, how do I fix the problem with the given details in mind?

• Bruce E

This does not necessarily indicate a problem with your power supply; it merely indicates that when the system rebooted, it detected that the system was not shut down cleanly. In general, there are typically 3 scenarios where this happens:

First, the power button is pressed and held until the system shuts down (about 5 seconds).

Second, the system issued a bugcheck and it shows up in the error log. In most cases, the system will BSOD and reboot (default configuration). In the Event Data portion of the Event 41 there should be a BugcheckCode (in decimal format which needs to be converted to hexadecimal) which can be used to help isolate the issue.

Third, the system randomly restarts with no bugcheck code in the event log (it reports it as zero), or the system hard hangs. If this is the case, reset all BIOS settings to default and see if it continues. Other possible causes, poor overclocking settings, overheating, failing power supply, or RAM issues.

well remove the battery and check if the problem is solved if yes then can be the battery.

try windows 8 upgrade assistant
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-from-windows-7-tutorial
      it will scan and gives you detail of incompatibilities, perhaps you can detect something and remove it.

Windows Kernel event ID 41 error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008 R2
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

open cmd with administrative rights
      1) Type: sfc /scannow a log (CBS.log) should be created check that
      2) type: chkdsk /r, let it run
      reboot, see if this will help

it can be faulty ram do a memtest, or remove just one and boot then check the other

you can also flash BIOS.

1) Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
      2) Click Advanced system settings.
      3) Click the Advanced tab.
      4) In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
      5) Click to clear the Automatically restart check box.
      it should give you BSOD screen with some messages