How can I prevent my company from deleting personal data through a device wipe via Exchange?

Oli October 22, 2011

By using my company’s exchange server, I have to allow device administrator privileges. Is there any way to allow them only to delete company data and not personal data?

1. Christine Fok (@christine_fok)

You can try products like Divide by Enterproid which creates a separate, secure work profile on your device which you can use to check work email and perform other business activities. If your company ever needs to wipe your phone, they can only do so to your work profile and your personal data will be safe.

Hello, to avoid the loss of personal data on a business phone, do not store any.

Exchange remote wipe equals a factory reset/restore that means allowing it to be done will always result in total data loss

The only way to prevent it would be not to apply the security policies to the phone which will prevent remote wipe altogether.

Basically it is up to your companies administration whether they want to take the risk having the phone connected.

Personally I don't really understand your concern. Usually remote wipe is only issued under certain situation:
    - the phone was lost or stolen
    - the "phone" is violating the security policy (e.g. doesn't meet security standards)
    - you leave the company on (very) bad terms

As for the first situation it should be in your own interest to have the entire phone wiped. Also you should always backup your phones data regularly to prevent data loss for those and other reason.
    For the latter you should prevent them in the first place.