How can I prevent comments on photos from non-friends with Facebook’s new privacy settings?

Janice Miller September 4, 2011

Since the new FB privacy settings began, I realized that when my friends tag people in my photos, they are able to comment even though we are not Facebook friends. This happens even though my photos are on the privacy setting “friends only”. How can I stop this?

1. Allyn aabish

People who are not my friends are able to send me massages and can comment on my posts on facebook even i had enabled only my friends to do so i want to stop unknown persons to send me massages and comment on my posts.

2. ferdberfle

My girlfriend is convinced that I exchanged photos with another woman. She's sure that she read in the news feed that "xxx and yyy exchanged profile photos", rather than "xxx and yyy changed profile photos". Does Facebook allow non-friends to do this? Is there even such a notification built into Facebook's news feed section? 

ferdberfle,

to my knowledge, there is no such status update. I find it rather amusing that your girlfriend is convinced that this is what she saw.

To get even more confirmations, I would recommend you to ask a new question since you are unlikely to receive a lot of fresh replies in this two weeks old comment thread.

I just noticed there was a similar question before posted here: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/prevent-nonfriends-commenting-facebook-photos/  but the privacy settings have since changed. 

One solution I can see, screenshot attached, is to open the privacy setting for FB (http://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=privacy) and change the section on how tags work. You can enable the option labelled "tags review of how friends tag your posts", so I presume that means photos. If someone else wants to tag your photo, it will ask you first. 

• Amandarainbird123

just reading your comment and when this non friend person asked to tag my photo i said no but still they managed to tag themselves!

not possible, just checked it, may be you hit accept option by mistake, or
        may be one of your friends tagged that non-friend or mutual friend, after you rejected.

but it will be simple enough to remove the tag.
        Apply strong privacy settings, "friends only" or customize it.

then others will not be able to see your pics, even if their frinds are tagged in the pics you uploaded.

if they cant see the pics, they can't tage them.

• Amandarainbird123

4. shoesies

i am wondering the same thing, any advice anyone?

Janice,

how about not tagging them?

Pretty sure friends can tag people too...

Good point.

The whole tagging thing is highly irritating in the first place. I don't like that other people can publicly tag me in their pictures. These tags should pend approval, rather than me having to go and remove me having been tagged.

• Gmail

You can do that on privacy settings. When someone tags me, before it gets published I receive a message telling me if I want to approve a tag or not.

• shoesies

why would u bother reply to that when that answer is clearly no help, its just rude.

• Jeffery Fabish

Why would you bother to reply to ask someone why they would bother to reply so rudely? It's a vicious circle.

James was just telling Tina that friends can tag as well, it's information exchange, that's not rude. That will help anyone else aiding in support know that Tina's method may not work. Trollololol.

• Jayme

I may be wrong, but shoesies was replying to Tina's reply to Janice