How can I prevent battery use in an iPod Touch after switching off?

skumar December 22, 2010

I have the latest iPod Touch (4th gen) and find that the battery gets exhausted even after I have switched off the device by pressing the on/off button. How can it be ensured the battery is not exhausted after device switch off?

1. Larisa

I too began having this problem. I thought it was because the "cool" screen saver apps I loaded were draining the power. I found that holding the top button till the "slide to power off" displays and of course sliding to off, has really been effective. The top switch is only "sleep" and turns off the display, not the actual iPod power.

2. Lee

If you mean putting it to sleep (pressing the lock button once) instead of completely powering it off, try turning off wifi before locking it. In iOS 4 wifi is always on, so it's draining your battery while it's locked (on previous iOS's, wifi turned off when locked)

3. Paul

The 4th Gen Ipod touch allows for multitasking. If you have an app running in the background, such as skype, or any other app that is sending updates, the battery will continue to drain even when "off". When you are done using the device for the day, double click the home button and kill any apps that update in the background. You could also try turning off wifi when it's not needed. On my iphone 3Gs, I put the phone into airplane mode at night and I only lose about 1% battery power over the entire night.

4. Fortlage

I finally got some relief from battery drain when I started using airplane mode rather than power off. Keeps the unit from constantly trolling for wireless access. Wish I could report where I found this tip, but I can't remember the source.

5. Jonathan Mould

I'm not sure what you can do to help the battery after power off but while it is on you could try lowering the brightness, turning off wifi/3g when not in use. There are also various EQ settings for music which can be turned off without affecting sound quality. Fiddle around with the settings, basically anything none essential can be turned off to give longer battery life. If you want to improve the battery's health, fully charge the ipod then let the battery drain completely before fully charging again. I haven't tried this one but i'm told doing this once a month can improve battery life. There are also a number of apps which give you information about battery life and how long your battery has left.
    Hope this helps

6. Jessica Cam W.

I'm experiencing the same problem. I think powering it off completely (by pressing the ON/OFF button for at least 3 seconds, as opposed to just letting it sleep), and lowering the brightness in the Settings might help.

• Steved

just turn off the wifi!!!!!

7. Simone

I don't think there is anything you can do to ensured the battery is not exhausted after the device switch off, but there are definitely things you can do to make your battery last longer. Check out the following websites.
    http://www.installerapps.com/2008/04/16/10-ways-to-increase-your-battery-life/
    http://ipod.about.com/od/introductiontotheipod/tp/ipod-touch-battery.htm

Also, plugging your ipod touch into a computer that is in sleep mode or stand by or turned off may drain the battery instead of charging it.