Will preinstalled QuickWeb still work on a HP Netbook after installing 7 Pro?

Tina January 25, 2010

I bought a HP Mini 210, which came with Windows 7 Starter. I would like to install Windows 7 Professional. However, I love the Quick Web option with which you can use internet tools without booting the operating system. I wonder whether Quick Web will still be available as a boot option after installing Windows 7 Pro.
And in case it won’t, can I somehow activate it?
Is there another way to maintain this boot option, e.g. an upgrade rather than a new installation?
I already called HP and they couldn’t answer the question.

1. Howard H

I believe something is missing that cues QuickWeb to actually open. The part that actually makes it boot after the initial splash screen, The only thing I can think of is some sort of DOS command association with the root system or bios. I've tried re-installing Quickweb and used Quickweb setup to re-install the basic commands. I actually lost the Quickweb splash screen and got an error instead upon pressing the Quickweb button and recovered the splash screen after using Quickweb setup utility. Obviously nothing I have done actually makes it work though. Its weird to have Quickweb utilities running on my computer, but no actual quickweb function.

2. Howard H

any hope of getting quickweb to work has been lost short of reinstalling my entire laptop operating system including reflashing the bios-I believe. I bought a new HP laptop and didn't know Quickweb existed. I repartioned my C drive to make a small extra partion for video files which converted my drives to dynamic. I also flashed the bios with an update (F33 to F43), and then noticed quickweb was installed in Tools/Drive E. It also is active in Task manager and 3.1 is installed under programs. When I hit the quickweb key the laptop boots to a QuickWeb screen (just that written across the center) but nothing else happens. If I hit any key it boots to Windows. There is nothing in my start menu or bios regarding Quickweb. Otherwise, my laptop runs normally, but no quickweb. I have a Pavilion G7 WM1219. I have since used a 3rd party partition app to return my drives back to basic retaining the small extra partition for video files. No luck there for getting Quickweb to work however. I have 4 partitions. C/Recovery/Tools/Video.

• Ali Khan

i am facing exactly the same problem on my HP Probook 4530s. i tried many things but got nothing. if u ever got the solution to this problem do email me at alikhan86@gmail.com
      thanks in advance ;) n if i got the solution i'l post it here

3. Arie Wb1

I get trouble when instal hp quickweb, "can't find correct partition, instalation will be aborted"
    Can you help me to solve this problem???
    I have create partition 3GB with name HP_TOOLS, and i instal hp quick web on this partition, but not success and get alert it...

Arie,

I'm afraid I don't know. I didn't have such problems and I installed QuickWeb right on the C drive with the operating system. Under Windows 7.

4. Cmshajahan

can i install hp quick web in windows xp platform in my hp mini

You should be able to. Just try it, if it doesn't work, you're not going to ruin your XP installation, so the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work. You run the installation from within Windows and you might then have to enable QuickWeb in your BIOS.

Be sure to not set QuickWeb as your default boot option and set a time of 5 seconds or more until Windows is booted automatically.

5. Kubster

Hello, i can't install quickweb after reinstalation OS, I have new parttions and when I install QW is comunicate: I can't find correct partition, instalation will be aborted, please help me... hp mini 210, Win7 pro

6. Quiltart39

What do I do ? I cannot find HP QW listed in bios boot options to enable ??go to C://swsetup files ?? I have a COMPAQ mini CQ10-525x netbook .

You might want to post a new / separate question describing your hardware, whether the Quick Web software came with your netbook (probably did), how you installed it, and what you see in the BIOS. Thank you.

7. Zafedz

Could this HP quick web program work on different models such as dell,acer and others?

8. Orkun Demirci

where can i download HP IOS. because i need that to activate quick webb

how to uninstall and reinstall drivers from hp.com

Meetali,

you can only download drivers from HP.com and then install them on your computer.

Go to HP's drivers & support section, then enter the model number of your hardware and browse for the type of driver/s you need. Follow the instructions given.

Before you install a new driver, it's recommended that you remove the old driver, i.e. uninstall it, which is typically done in the device manager.

If you told us your operating system and which driver you want to install or reinstall, I could give you a better explanation.

In the future, please post as a new question and don't ask within an existing thread. Thank you!!!

You need to ask this as a separate question. Just use the 'Ask a
      Question' button on the top right corner.

10. Mirek Malinowski

Quick Web resides on separate partition on your HDD, so if you do not wipe it during upgrade it should be retained. If, however, something goes wrong, you can always go to HP support page and download the package for QW reinstallation. During this process main Windows partition will be shrinked by 2 GB (if no space available) and available space will be used to install QW. I personally went through this process after HDD upgrade and it worked like a charm.

• Daniel

I used SP47192 from HP on my mini 210, it created a HP_TOOLS partition, but I can't get QuickWeb to start. How did you get it to work? Thanks

Daniel,

did you enter the BIOS on your HP mini and enable Quick Web?
        Click F10 while the computer is booting to enter the BIOS.

• Daniel

Thanks for your reply.
          However, I've figured out a solution.
          I found QuickWeb's installation files under C:SWsetupQuickWeb
          so I backed it up prior to OS re-installtion.
          It installed just as any other software in my newly installed Win 7.

Could you upload the file you used??? I am in the same trouble...

or tell me which file you used, because i used the sp47192.exe and it didnt worked, maybe i can search for the correct file with just the name... thanks DANIEL!

• Gon

Hi! I'v been looking for the solution to this same problem for a long time. Did you manage to make it work? Could you please tell us how? Thank you!

• HF

How do you start quickweb when you're already in Windows 7? When I'm in quickweb there's a button to start Windows, but when I'm in Windows I can't find a way to start quickweb without restarting the netbook (I've got a mini 210-1032CL)

HF,

as far as I know, the only way to launch Quick Web when your computer / the OS is already running, would be to reboot.

The idea of Quick Web is to provide quick and easy access to the internet without having to boot the entire operating system. So it makes sense that it's not available from within Windows.

• Curt

so what do i do

I can actually answer the question myself.
    Rather than installing Windows 7 Pro from scratch, it is possible to use Windows Anytime Upgrade from Starter to Pro. All you need is the serial number.
    An article on ZDNet published in October 2009 stated that an upgrade from Starter to Pro was not possible.