Why are my PowerPoint presentations causing some copies of PowerPoint to crash?

Chin P July 18, 2014

I have a very perplexing situation on my hands. I have 2 PowerPoint files that cause PowerPoint to crash on opening, but this only happens on some computers. All the machines I have attempted to open the files on are running Windows 7 and have Office 2010 installed. The computers also have Office 2010 SP1 installed so I have ruled out different versions of hte software as an issue. Any ideas?

1. Khang C

Can you see the presentation file inside your thumb drive? If not, then TMP file may help you restore them or you need a third-party recovery software here. I don't know much about such data recovery software since I never used any. But if the PPT file is there inside your thumb drive, then there are fair chances to repair it by using Open and Repair.

Hope this information will be helpful.

Regards.

Does your PowerPoint crash straight to the Desktop or do you get a "stopped working" dialog?
    In the stopped working dialog, what is the fault module name in the details?
    If it crashes straight to Desktop, do you get any entry about this in the Event Viewer?

Does this effect random machines or is it always the same ones that crash?
    Have you tried running the Office Diagnostics on the problematic systems?
    Can you open other PowerPoint files on these machines, can you open PowerPoint by itself and create a new presentation?