Do powerline Ethernet adapters provide consistent speeds?

Drsunil V April 3, 2014

Do powerline Ethernet adapters give same speed at receiving end as source end when hooked up within 300 meters?

As I explained in comments on another of your questions, the actual performance depends on many many factors, and I would not pretend to be able to predict actual speeds without trying them out, much less so without even seeing the site!
    In my experience, Powerline (200AV and above, at any rate) is always faster than WiFi, but the difference beteen Jan's answer and I may well relate to building techniques, types of electrical circuits used (possibly even different voltage?) etc, the very reasons I wouldn't want to give a firm estimate. If you can run specialised network cabling, you will reap the benefits. If not, Powerline is a very decent alternative, at least for home use.
    Once set up, the adapters tend to run at a roughly-constant speed, but this can change over time if the environment changes, and unless you improve your wiring (e.g. by renewing it), chances are performance will deteriorate slowly. Once again though, this is something you have to test for yourself. If you are thinking of networking a whole house with Powerline, perhaps you should get a couple of simple adapters and try them out first. If the performance is good, you can add nodes (adapters) to the network, including WiFi extenders etc. If the performance is not good, well, you only spent money on two adapters.

• Drsunil V

Please recommend a basic ( without advanced or unnecessary speed or strength or feature ) Powerline adapter of reputed brand for home use ( within 300 meters ) to connect to router with ADSL connection at ebay.in , amazon.in or any Indian online mall

• Oron J

On eBay.in: Zyxel PLA4201 (pair) Rs. 6,485.00.
      TP-LINK TL-PA511 (single) Rs 3,316.

On Amazon.in: TP-LINK TL-PA2010KIT AV200 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit up to 200Mbps Rs. 4,149.00.

• Drsunil V

I have placed order for the the third link of amazon

It really depends on what is "in-between" the 300 meters, well between the two adapters.

If you want to go from your office on the 1st floor downstairs to the TV in the living room that should work. With an quite old adapter I'm seeing speeds of about 9Mbit at one installation.

I also know of one grocery store using powerline adapters to connect all cash registers to the system in the back office. But those don't really send large data.

If you want to go out of your house, into the neighbors one to their office I would say test it but don't expect it to work at all.

In my personal experience powerline is really just the last resort if Ethernet is not possible and WiFi doesn't work stable. Usually you will see lower speeds with powerline than with WiFi over the same distance (in-house).

Also worth noting is that (in my tests) real world speeds have always been half or lower than what the manufacturers tool powerlan advertised for the current connection of the adapters.

• Drsunil V

How to connect router to router via power line adapter?

the actual distance may vary due to the environment.

Slow HomePlug? Five Ways To Boost Powerline Network Speed
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-basics/31238-slow-homeplug-five-ways-to-boost-powerline-network-speed

• Drsunil V

Thanks. I have noted the link and gone through the article with care. Please tell whether power line adapter work via tri-plug?

you mean like 3-Port 200Mbps Powerline AV Adapter , if yes then it should work. Connect one adapter to your network and plug another adapter in to an outlet on your electrical system. Synchronize adapters with one-touch connect button.

• Drsunil V

I meant multi socket ( triple ) facilitating plug

4. Jeff F

Yes, power line Ethernet adapters provide fairly consistent transmission speeds.

Powerline Networking: What It Is & Why It Is Awesome [Technology Explained]
    How Power-line Networking Works

• Drsunil V

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Please tell difference between power packet technology and Passport technology 'Powerline adapters'