Why do I have to power cycle my router all the time?
Question by Andy /

I have a new wireless-N router. The old one, and now this one, will quit working after a while of non-use and I have to power cycle both the modem and router to get it to send out the signal again. It seems to happen after about an hour of nothing being connected to wireless. Any help would be much appreciated!

• Blake Caudill

I used to power cycle my Internet everyday in order to keep it connected. I would unplug the modem and router and wait then plug them back in properly waiting for the modem to power up first. This was a pain and I was having to crawl behind my desk to do it. Until I purchased a new product called NetReset 1. It automatically power cycles the modem and router in proper order daily for you. I have not touched my Internet connection since I purchased it. I have also noticed the Internet being faster. My entire family now has NetReset 1 and we love it. Can’t imagine going without the device now. Check it out at http://www.netreset1.com. My Internet hasn’t gone down a single time.

Hey Andy,

Can you update us on the issue? Were you able to fix it?

• Andy

The ISP said that everything checks out with the modem (they are the ones who sent it to me), and that the DHCP server SHOULD be enabled on both the modem and router. It comes preconfigured and I can see the settings on the modem, but not change them.

What is interesting to me is that this is the second router I’ve had, same problem with both. The wired connections are fine, it’s just wireless that periodically quits working. My ISP said they’d never heard this problem before, which is just infuriating. As if I’m the only person in the world with this issue.

I don’t know how to set a static IP address as suggested, and I’m not even sure if I can since my ISP is who gives the IP addresses, and they are NOT static.

Some of the other suggestions thus far won’t work, as this is not a wireless card or anything having the issues. Even if the wireless was being shut off by my computer, wouldn’t it reconnect when it was awakened and attempted to connect? Besides, that wouldn’t effect all other wireless devices that also cannot connect.

Hello, have you tried renewing your connection? Give this a try and see if it works.

start >> run >> cmd >> type ipconfig /flushdns>> click enter

start >> run >> cmd >> type ipconfig /release >> enter, then
      start >> run >> cmd >> type ipconfig /renew >> enter

There is a strong possibility that you are getting inference in your channel. Are there many wireless networks close to you? Have you tried changing the channel in your network? You have to access your router’s configuration page to do that. Every router has an option to change the broadcasting channel. Here is a link showing you how to do it but you have to consider that every router has different designs for their configuration pages:

If the previous steps did not help, you can try static addresses. This link should help you out with that. Keep in mind that some internet providers won’t allow you to use static addresses. Try and see if it fixes your problem. Piece of advise, write down your setting before you change anything, that way if it does not work you can go back to your original settings:

Hello, make sure that you have the most recent firmware installed in your router. If your drivers for ethernet, wireless and router firmware are up to date, the problem is that your modem goes to sleep because somehow it went to battery power.

Check to see what the power management for your wireless card is. It may be that your computer’s power management plan is telling your wireless connectivity to shut off if it is idle when it reaches an amount of time. Also, depending of the computer’s brand, manufacturers include utilities to manage the power. For example, Dell, Lenovo, etc include this utilities to manage your wireless card. Check if your system has an utility like that and make sure that the power management is not set to shut off the card.

Also, make sure to check the settings on your wireless card using your device manager. To do so in Windows XP:

— windows key + Pause/Break
    — Hardware tab
    — Click on Device Manager
    — Expand Network adapters and double-click it
    — Check auto power management settings that might be shutting your card to save battery time.

In windows 7:
    — windows key + pause/break
    — Hardware tab
    — Device Manager
    — Find and expand Network adapters
    — Highlight and right click wireless adapter
    — Properties
    — Check power management settings for card

— type device manager
    — enter
    — expand network adapters
    — highlight and right click wireless
    — properties
    — check power management.

You might want to check the wireless settings in your router. Access your router configuration by typing your gateway in your browser using the following format:
    — type user and password
    — Go to main setup page ( this depends on what router you are using, check the instructions for your router)
    — Check the configuration in your router and find where you can lower the MTU. MTU stands for maximum transmission unit. Try entering a lower number than the one showing. As a default, the MTU is set up for 1500. Try this an see if that fixes your problem, if not there are other setting you can change.
    — Also you may want to adjust the beacon interval in your advanced wireless settings. Beacon interval is set to a 100ms by default. Try lowering to 80ms.
    — Try playing with the fragmentation threshold. The fragmentation threshold helps to avoid collisions. Bigger threshold numbers usually mean more collisions, that why it is better to set the threshold to a smaller number if you are experiencing dropped connections. I do not know if this is the standard for every router but usually the default maximum value is set to 2346, and it is the recommended setting. Try lowering it a little bit.
    — Also if the steps above do not help you can try lowering the RTS threshold. RTS stands for request to send, and it helps with establishing an open communication to an access point(AP) or node. The default threshold is set at 2347, try lowering it a little bit and see if it helps out.

Have you tried resetting your router to factory default settings? Try it, it may work for you. Press the reset button on the back of your router and when if finishes resetting go back into your router’s configuration and set your password/user name, etc.

Have you tried using the Windows network diagnostic tool? This tool will analyze the network components and it will tell you if there are any problems with them. Also, you might want to disable any third party networking software you have installed. As a possible solution, you can set an static Ip address and see if that solves your problems.

Are you having problems entering (connecting) to the Wireless LAN or is it just the internet that isn’t working?

It’s possible that your Modem is set to Dial-on-Demand which means if no activity is detected over a period the internet will be disconnected. Depending on your entire setup it might take a while until the internet is reconnected and working.

For example:
    Your modem is most likely set to get the DNS-Server via your provider.
    If your DHCP Server is set to get the DNS Servers via the WAN interface [hence from your provider] it might take a while [or won’t work at all] until the DNS Servers are provided via DHCP to every single computer.

In this case your computer connects to the Network (Router) but doesn’t get any DNS Servers ~ and without them, your system doesn’t know what to do with any hostname (like “google.com”).

So ~ two things I would look into:
    1. whether the modem is set to Dial-on-Demand or permanent connection
    2. whether DHCP provides fixed DNS-Servers (manual entries) or automatic via WAN

Some routers also run out of memory with too many open connections. Running connection/data intensive services like BitTorrent can cause issues.Overheating and “overwhelming” are the two things I see most. If you are pushing the maximum bandwidth through a home router the firmware can get overwhelmed.

Many a broadband connectivity problem has been solved by nothing more than powering off computer, router, and modem and turning them back on in the reverse of that order, allowing modem and router to complete their power-up initializations before turning on the next piece of equipment.

when the problem is happening do a few ping tests to internet addresses. Ping by hostname and ping by IP Address. This will help figure out if DNS is a possible issue. Also try to open a few web pages as well. Here are a couple of good destinations to use for your tests:

hostname: http://www.google.com
    ip address:

hostname: http://www.yahoo.com
    ip address:

If none of these work (hostname or IP), then you definitely have a complete network failure. If IP address works, but hostname does not, then only your DNS is affected. It takes some testing to figure this out.

Go to your DSL or cable modem configuration menu and see if it has ”DHCP server” enabled. Then go to the configuration setup for your router and see if it has ”DHCP server” enabled. If both are enabled, that will cause this problem. Disable one and see if that makes a difference.

change the frequency to 802.11 possible because .7 was the most common and you probably getting interference from other networks around you