Could you post more on Facebook’s functionality please?

Jenn January 12, 2011

I just read your article on How Facebook Works How Does Facebook Work? The Nuts and Bolts [Technology Explained] How Does Facebook Work? The Nuts and Bolts [Technology Explained] Read More and had mixed feelings:
1. the information was a great jumping off point and will give me a lot to research…
2. It didn’t really explain anything!

What I’d like to know consists more with the actual code involved:
1. How does tagging people in pictures work, especially concerning how the pictures are recalled and populated later on.
2. How is random content populated, such as in the news feed?
Stuff like that.

Anyway, I just thought that if I’m wondering about it, someone else might be too. If you get the chance, that would be an awesome article and I’d be thrilled to read it!

1. Selenaortiz409

can u get me on facebook please

Thanks for your feedback Jenn. Steve is right that some of the more technical articles about Facebook tend to get outdated very quickly. I've seen "how to hack Facebook" articles all throughout the Internet get outdated within days as Facebook constantly modifies its security and other code, so it's not always easy to create something that's "evergreen" and useful for everyone all of the time.

Although your request is a good one - Facebook is a very popular topic here at MakeUseOf, so we'll try to focus some more on the sort of topics you've mentioned...thanks for the feedback!

3. Steve Campbell

Jenn,

I'm glad you somewhat enjoyed my article. :) Although it was an overview of all of the tools used to create Facebook's infrastructure, I see your need to dig deeper into the functionality side of things.

I'm no developer, I'll admit that right now. In fact, I don't code much of anything. It does sound like it would make for a good article (or 2 or 3), though, and it's something I'll look into. I think I'd be a little worried of writing about something that was outdated or making it "too technical" for the majority of our readership, though.

At any rate thank you for your feedback. If you're interested in learning more about Facebook's tools, including some of the ones I mentioned in the article, you should check out Facebook's Developers website: http://developers.facebook.com/opensource/