How do the different ‘post comment as’ options of Disqus compare?

Tilman November 13, 2010

I was just wondering about the different “post a comment as” options. Which one should I use? Guest, Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, or OpenID? What are the differences, advantages and disadvantages of each?

And how is Gravatar related to all this?

1. full colour printing

I think this website got some genuinely useful stuff

2. full colour leaflets

That would be a great help -- being able to avoid the initial parse and then explicitly render elements as they come into view would be a major improvement.

3. Steck Insights

I find it funny that everyone is testing their gravatars on this site.  Ha.  It's actually a great idea and quite useful.  Thanks for addressing this question, as I have found it hard to find any posts online about the comparison of methods for Disqus and what they each entail

Glad you find it useful.

4. Ciaran Welch

Test

5. Hindi Sms

I was searching for post on this topic and i was very lucky to find yours

6. Tiffony

I am truly
    satisfied by reading this post. You gave me a big inspiration. Thanks for
    letting me know about this stuff!!!

7. Tmlyga

test

Thanks for this clarification.  I am trying to get this gravatar/disquis thing.

testtest

ss

11. test

test

12. Guest

test

13. KRIS3D

Same issue for me. This bug appears only on of of my blogs...

14. USB 3G

hi jess, what do you mean that it doesnt get much better than macbook pro? thanks :

15. pxk161

Test

Hans,

I cannot reproduce your issue. Could it be that your screen is too small?

I suggest that you post a new question and provide a screenshot. Just upload the image to Flickr or a file sharing service and add the URL to it in your question.

hye, im facing problems...if a user comment as Guess, they cant seem to see the Post Comment button.......+ the DISQUS prompt can't be moved.......hence the only option is to zoom out......any ideas? TQ

18. David

test

19. Mukhlis Budiman

test

20. Mukhlis Budiman

test

Tilman,

Gravatar is pretty independent of these options. It recognizes your eMail address, no matter where and how you use it. So if you post a comment as guest and use eMail address X, you will see the Gravatar that you created for eMail address X. If you use that same eMail address X to sign up for a Disqus account and then use the Disqus login to post a comment, again, the same Gravatar for eMail address X will show up.

When you login with a Facebook, Twitter, or Yahoo account, your Gravatar will not show because you're not using an eMail address to log in. Instead, the profile picture for the respective account will show.

As for how the different login options compare, well, I guess a lot of it is personal preference. Just use the one you like best. If you already have a Facebook account, why not use it instead of signing up for a Disqus account? If you would like to track your comments and likes, however, use Disqus. If you don't want to sign up for anything or prefer not to use existing accounts, post your comments as a guest user.

If you want to win our weekly Best Answer of the Week contest, use an account that allows me to get in touch with you (in case you win). Guest login with valid eMail address, Disqus, or Facebook login work best!