What is the use of a portable web server?

Lisa Santika Onggrid September 20, 2012

I recently heard about portable web servers and many praises for it, but can someone explain to me what’s the use of that?

1. Rob Hindle

You may have read about web server on a memory stick (example http://server2go-web.de/). There are circumstances where it can be useful for a web developer to be able to run a local "private" web server but really the need comes first and a portable web server may be the answer.

That's not very helpful so how about an example. Imagine your are in a remote place with no internet connection but you want to do some development work on a website. You've got a webserver on a memory stick and a copy of the website just plug that into a PC USB socket and away you go! Or you could carry your demo web application on the webserver stick to demonstrate to someone knowing the server has all the right versions of the server-side programs you need.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

I see. Good example. Thank you!

• ahmed Fouad khalil

Thanks for the post

I occasionally use a portable web server for testing. I can fire it up when needed for my testing of web designs, new functionality, script modifications, etc and shut it down when it is no longer needed so it is not unnecessarily consuming resources on the system. By doing this, it does not represent a permanent security risk either. The risk only exists while it is running. I can also use it on machines other than my own by putting it on a USB stick with the customer's website. They can run it on a local machine to see what it will look like when published to their server to green light the push to their production server(s).

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Thanks for your explanation, Bruce, that clears my confusion.

• HLJonnalagadda

Thanks for the info. I just configure iis whenever I need to test, would look into this.