Which is the best portable external hard drive?

Sunny January 6, 2012

I am thinking of getting myself an external portable hard drive, and as is evident, there are plenty of options in brands and types to choose from.

So I posted this query to get an opinion as to which make of drive at 500 GB capacity is
– Reliable
– Rugged
– Performer
– In All — A Good One!

I understand there is no thing like the best, but still there always is one chap which performs better than the others in majority!

So, what do the Techies here recommend from their knowledge and experience?
Seagate? WD? IoMega? Hitachi?

Thanks….

1. Trygve

G-tech portable hard drives are amazing. They have now been acquired by Western digital I have been told that Western Digital will not be messing about with them which is a good thing. Other than that I stick with Western Digital as I have never had a problem. As for Seagate I have a lot of friends that use them and love them too. I also own a laCiE Rugged that I even had in my bag when I had a bicycling accident which I flew through the air for approximately 2 car lengths landing on my bag and it still works flawlessly it is probably the only laCiE that I would recommend.

you have a drop test of portable hard drive
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tests/4275478
    iomega survived from a truck

3. Mjevolve

Thanks to all for the replies ..
    Well , It always is hard to make such a decision when you have so many options and varied conflicting reviews from every person you ask from ! 

IoMega failed for Jeff , but works great for SV Svamy ! 
    i just searched IoMega for some reviews and found a test result on Popular Mechanics web site , where in it was the IoMega eGo Rugged drive , from the entire lot of tested drives ,  that took the most brunt and survived to be still able to plug in ..!
    but then still , i m not that sure about it ....
    Playing safe , i guess ...

What do you guys say about Buffalo Mini Station .?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004J6GMLM/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1325923049&sr=1-1&condition=new 

seems a good deal , but how does it fare in the real world ..?
    and any other options ? Lacie , Toshiba ( @Jeff , its a good seller on Tigerdirect .. ) , ...... ?

4. Jay.0

western digital from your options.
    I have used no touch and hp without any problem.

5. SV Swamy

Any hard disk can fail any time. Having made that statement, any good brand that offers you some sort of guarantee or warranty (they would replace it if goes dead, file protection is not covered I guess) should be OK. By the way I have a 500 GB 2.5" Seagate portable, a 1TB external 3.5" Seagate and a 1TB external 3.5" Iomega. The Iomega hard disk fell from the working table on to the hard stone floor. I thought that is the end of it but no, it is unscathed and going strong...

Hello, I would recommend Seagate and Western Digital.

You can't go wrong with Seagate or Western Digital. I recently purchased Seagate's 2TB Expansion External Drive, after my Iomega external died (after only one week). Maybe it was just bad luck, but I won't be purchasing another iomega product again. 

Check out TigerDirect's highest rated external hard drives for more information. I was going to give Fantom a shot, as I had never heard of them before, but decided to play it safe and stick with a brand that I love & trust.