Why can’t I use my new PNY flash drive?

elfin8er December 31, 2011

I recently bought a PNY Flash Drive, and for some reason it wont show up when I go to My Computer. It will, how ever show up under Devices and Printers. Any help?

1. Sonny Bass

Uncheck hide empty drives in computer folder. This can be found under Organize/Folder and search options/view 

Hello, what operating system are you using other than Linux?  if you are running windows7/vista, did you check in your disk management if it shows there?  You can check it there and if needs be you can reformat drive. 

Did you check in device manager to see if it shows?  Most times it will show there as an unknown device.  When something like this happens, first thing to try is to plug the drive in another USB connection, preferably in the back not the front headers of your system.  Another thing to be tried, is to check in a different computer.  If it shows there, then there is something going on with your USB.

Finally before reformatting drive, you could try uninstalling the USB drivers and then restart system.  If it is 7/vista, it will replace the drivers by itself and then you can try your disk again. 

3. Elfin8er

The whole reason I needed this flash drive was to boot my computer in linux. I got another program that did it for me, but without having to have a flash drive. Now when I go into linux, it shows up. Odd...

4. Elfin8er