Please share your opinion: Are we becoming a generation D.R.O.N.E?

jax c March 29, 2013

Doing a research paper still in its (very) rough drafting stage. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Does anybody else out there notice how lonely the world is today.. with all this technology and information readily available to be learned and just as easily forgotten?

Hiding behind our text messages, dating online, propaganda oozing all over the damn place- no real facts, just… confusion, insecurity? Can’t even tell you how many people try to act tough to me on FACEbook, yet when in my presence they don’t say a damn thing.

It is funny, I gotta admit, but c’mon. What the hell have we become? A buncha automated drones.

People don’t talk to people anymore, they talk to their phones. They even give their phones names, and their phones can even talk back to them. See: TRANSHUMANISM.

So I would just like to hear some other views. What would you do without your phone? Computer, tablet, whatever? Do you think you’d “die” without it or go loony from boredom and/or lack of socialization?
Don’t gotta answer it all, again, anything input is appreciated.
Thanks !:)

1. Lisa Santika Onggrid

I'm still very young, but I grew up with books, right at the dawn of internet popularity. Technology progresses so much since my childhood. It's constantly changing, and I too, am mesmerized by the advance we've taken for granted. I still rely on manually doing stuff when it comes to most tasks, however, more to habit than not having the knowledge to do them digitally.
    So, if you ask me whether I'd die without my phone, I can definitely say I can manage. Even now I have the habit of neglecting my phone. I rarely take a look at it, it's not a smartphone, and I don't have push notifications on it. Other techs? I don't watch TV anymore. I get my share of news from newspaper. As long as printed book exists, I can do without internet.

It's true that everything is a double-edged sword. Technology can be evil if you abuse it, or great helper if you put it on its rightful place. That being said, a lot of people seem to get carried away with the prospects of being 'always connected' which sadly, leading to them forgetting about real connection.
    Getting to know someone via social media is different than meeting said person in real life. We create persona for every situation, and in the internet maintaining that persona is much easier. Therefore, sometimes we're blind of others' 'real self' as we always see someone as how he/she wants to be seen.
    I'm okay with using it to repair/reconnect with established relationships, however. I've seen instances like finding lost family members or friends, rekindling past friendships, etc. It's still better if we maintain physical contact instead of relying on indirect contact all the time.
    What we should have is restraint. Control over one's self. The lack of restraint cause people to be slaves over constant stream of notifications, trapped in their monitors. Everything, when used with moderation, shouldn't be bad.

What we are, as social animals and otherwise, depends on a mix of our personality, upbringing (or should I say, the environment we grow up in) and our circumstances in life, and while "the net" affords us means of communication, relying on it by necessity limits the breadth (and I would argue, the depth) of that communication. It is not possible then to give a single, definitive answer.What we are, as social animals and otherwise, depends on a mix of our personality, upbringing (or should I say, the environment we grow up in) and our circumstances in life, and while "the net" affords us means of communication, relying on it by necessity limits the breadth (and I would argue, the depth) of that communication. It is not possible then to give a single, definitive answer.
    Let me illustrate. My father lives in different country, and we stay in touch by Skype, email etc.Before the internet, we could only use the phone, and at that time, it was expensive! In short, the internet has brought us together. On the other hand, it can be argued that my social network *here* would have developed further if I had to do without my old friends and family... Watching my children and their friends growing up, I can confirm that some, at least, rely on FB as a substitute for face-to-face contact, and miss out on the richness of the experience and the bonding you get by doing things (physically) together. Does this make us into drones? Well, not necessarily, but perhaps it does make many people's lives socially shallower than what they could have been.

"So I would just like to hear some other views. What would you do without your phone? Computer, tablet, whatever? Do you think you’d “die” without it or go loony from boredom and/or lack of socialization?"

Me I would proberly juust get on with something else like fixing the garden. These are not necessaties, they are luxories, people would learn to live without them.

4. Joel Thomas

facebook ,twitter..... are all the signs that technology helps keep connected.
    Even makeuseof

5. Chris Marcoe

You say we are separated like never before, but I argue that we, in fact, connected more than ever. 30 years ago, I certainly would not have been answering a question from you. And you would have never heard of me, either.

People fall in love and get married to others they never would have met because of the connectivity these days.

The problem with this ivew is that it is entirely impersonal. There is very little real human interaction with most modern technology. A large number of people that are connecting via the internate (Facebook, Twitter, etc) do not even use their real name and don't put up any kind of identifying information. Even though I don't mask my name, there is other information that I do not make available on social networks. Looking through my Facebook and Twitter feeds won't really give you much information about ME. Although, if we ever met in person, you would have the opportuninty to learn about ME, not just the things I like on Facebook or the users I follow on Twitter. Just because you may talk or text others does not necessarily mean that you are connecting with them.

6. Michael Heffner

I grew up as a kid before the internet. I did my fiar share of BBS'ing with a modem, but the reality most of my contact with people was face to face. Those people I remember today even if I haven't seen them for decades, yet there are people I've met online gaming and chatting and I couldn't tell you who they were if I had to.

A few years back I got rid of my cell phone and after about a week, I loved it. nobody bugging me when I was out and I got a lot more accomplished. I had to get another one for a job I had and after leaving it two months ago, I'm ready to shut this one off.

Do we really need to know what our friends are doing every minute of the day? What they had for lunch? When they went to the bathroom?

Technology was supposed to make things easier for us and put an end to the 40 hr work week. Now everyone works harder for 60 hours a week just to get by.

I keep my tech only for the info, but frankly in a couple of months I'm moving where I'll not only have no internet, but the only power I'll have will be solar and I can't get there fast enough.

• Chris Marcoe

But you would have never met the gamers without being online.

• Michael Heffner

This is true, but in the spirit of the article, is my life better for having met them? I don't remember them other than we played a few games together but without the game or being online, I may have done something more productive with my time here on this planet.

After 45 years here I've realized I've spent the last 30 of it working to squeak out a living while others either a) profit from my work and get richer or b) do nothing then whine why should I have so much and they have nothing and tax it away.

Hence my escape plan...

7. justinpot

It's a choice. You can use the web to obsess, or you can use it to create. You can use the web to attack, or you can use it to collaborate. You can use your phone to distract yourself, or you can use it to reach out to other people in a way that is sincere.

We have more access to knowledge, more power to persuade, more ability to better ourselves than any generation before. It's completely up to us whether we use that power to create something beautiful, to collaborate for a cause, or to watch an entire season of The Office while we should be working.

It's a choice.