How can I play a video with very high resolution?
Question by ravi /

Recently, I have downloaded a very high quality video (1920 x 1080 pixel, codec-H.264/AVC,24FPS, audio codec-MPEG-4 AAC audio). My desktop computer is equipped with AMD Athlon 3000+ processor, Nvidia GEForce 400 series graphic card with 256MB. Currently, I’m using Ubuntu Karmic Koala version. I couldn’t play the video using vlc player. Please help!

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , .
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Linux Tips & Issues
Linux Tips & Issues
Linux for Beginners
Linux for Beginners
Mac OSX Tips & Issues
Mac OSX Tips & Issues
Home Entertainment
Home Entertainment

• Rgfss

I have 4GB RAM & 4k looks as stills!

There can be two reasons as to why this is happening:
    Either your codecs are not up-to-date, in which case, you should follow Jessica's solution above.
    The second situation could be that your CPU itself is not well equipped to handle true HD videos. Sure, the GPU takes up a lot of the processing work in terms of playing HD, but the CPU still has its work cut out. Plus, I've myself has problems of sluggish videos in Ubuntu and have always thought of it to be a platform problem as my laptop is pretty well configured.

• Rtej89

cpu speed is around 1.8GHz. that would not be enough i suppose. thanks..

if you only have 256 MBs of RAM it's very likely to be the cause of the problem. You need more RAM!

I think that your system doen't have codec to play that video.
    There's nothing wrong with the graphic card because even my old Geforce 6600GT can play 4K videos.
    Have you tried to update VLC?

• Rtej89

the player is up to date. i did not had this issue when i played another file of the same format

• Jessica Cam W.

Your Nvidia GEForce GPU should be able to handle a high quality video. What's the video container (e.g. .mp4, .mov)? Have you downloaded the restricted extras so you can play MP3s and MP4 files in Ubuntu? If not, follow point 3 in this article or read more here.

• Rtej89

its in mp4 format. now i have added the required codecs from ubuntu repositeries. now the file can be played. but there's a slight hitch again. the player is taking a lot of time for buffering.. the video is getting held up and i'm not getting the continuous video. i have played the video in another computer with a better configuration and there were no such problems. does this mean that my system is too old for the video? thanks for the help..

• Jessica Cam W.

Hmm, perhaps as you said, your system might not be capable to play the HD video, as you also mentioned that you have only 256MB (of RAM, I'm assuming). The last thing I can think of is cleaning up your system of your cache (like how everyone does it in Windows with CCleaner,) in which case, you'd have to use Computer Janitor (go to System > Administration > Computer Janitor) or Ubuntu Tweak. I don't know how helpful this could be though.