How can I play movies on my TV from my external hard drive?
Question by Sharnee /

What is the best way to play a movie on a TV from a portable hard drive if no USB connection is available? My TV does not have one.

• Michael Graham138

and if so, what are the steps?

• Michael Graham138

can i watch videos by sticking a flash drive into my rca tv???

• ajdublin

Hi try this….. Designer Habitat Nano 3.0 – HD TV Digital Mini Media Player – 1080p – Play any file from USB HDDs/Flashdrives/Memory Cards. it connects to any usb device and also to your tv via HDMI connection. you can get one on amazon for about 40 Euro. 

• Basse Wergeland

1. If you have an xbox it`s easy just plug inn your external drive and play.
    2. Use your computer and windows mediasenter.

Hello, as an example, you would need a media player that has usb 2.0 connections for the external and rca(composite), s-vid, component connections for you to connect to tv.  Make sure that you choose one that matches the connections with your TV.  Also, make sure that the media player is capable of playing the format of your movies, if not you will have to convert them.  In your case you need something like this. 

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-MPlay-Digital-Player-Drives/dp/B003D0WIQS/ref=pd_cp_e_1/192-2273299-2128664

Installation should be easy:

— connect media player to TV
    — turn on TV and media player
    — connect external
    — watch your movies. 

people used dvd players, till now, we have players with usb slots. connect the player to tv, and watch movies.
    I have seen these players, they have a screen so you can carry them and watch movies while travelling and you can connect them to tv to watch movies on your tv.

go to market and buy one!

Connecting external hard drive to a USB port of a DVD playet won’t work in most cases. They are primarily for USB Flash drives.

• Sonriz

So is there anyway to go about this for it to work?

Use flash drive(pen drive) instead of hard disk with your player, if you connect 8 gb pen drive, you can still watch movies via usb.
      also, you can connect your laptop to your tv with hdmi cable.

I had a similar problem in the past. I couldn’t figure out why it worked with Flash drive but not external portable drive.