How can I play a movie on my LG TV using the USB port on the back?
Question by Josh Eager /

I’ve had my LG TV for a while and have never been able to watch movies off a USB stick with it. I can’t access photos through the USB port either. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

• Emile Zola

First, I’m not a geek, not an expert, but just someone that had the same problem, but not as bad as yours. My LG could play some videos, most of the music, but not all videos, not all music. One answer I found in music, my usb refused to play m4A music. I changed the suffix to mp3 and that solved the problem. I think the suffixes have a lot to do with playing, viewing or not. I had more problems with the music than with videos. I also had another, cheaper kind usb and that one doesn’t show, or play any thing. My two cents.

• Alex Perkins

Your TV might not support it in the firmware.

• denis

how can I listen to music stored on my ipad wirelessly on my LG smart tv

• Le Mon

convert your movies to a compatible format and transfer to usb. See the manuals of the tv for details
    there could be a menu on tv which you should have to change if you want to play from USB

• Kelly Buchanan

This may be more than you’re looking for but…

Pocket TV. It claims to turn any TV into a Smart TV..

• Ben

Usually, the USB stick should be automatically detected. Could be a problem with the port.

• ferdinan Sitohang

Let we assume that your usb stick is fine. The main concern is the model of your TV is not supporting to view any photo, songs, movie from the usb stick. The USB port is used to other purposes such as update TV firmware, internet modem, etc. That’s why from the start you need to ask the seller the features and the function of any peripherals which attach on it. I also use LG model 330, it plays photo, movie and songs very well. Hope this can help. Thank you

• weerasinghe

my TV is LG model [26/32LD34] .song,photos are working ,movies is not working , pl help me
      thanks .

• Martin

I’ve got the same problem. I was able to play all movies from my usb stick or external hdd when I insert them into USB but suddenly it stopped working. I can open images or music from the usb stick but can’t play movies! I have updated firmware so it’s upto date, I have restart TV but didn’t help, I have tried to convert to 100’s different codecs, didn’t help….

Hello, the first TVs that provided USB ports were not able to show you pictures, videos, music, etc. The USB was used only to update firmware. You can usually find all the information in the manual. Can you provide the model of your TV?

• Deepak Kapoor

Make sure you are using the correct format that your tv can recognize.
    If still failed to do so , copy the movies to a folder called movies directly on the usb.
    if still failed, then there -*may be*- a button at the back which resets.
    if still failed, contact customer care. :)

• Dalsan

We would need the model of tv to help you further to see if it even possible to view media through the USB port. Although common sense would tell you that if there is a USB port, we should be able to view photos, movies, and listen to music. Some are used for wifi connection, others for what you want to use it for. The manual should let you know more about this, but without the model number, it is hard to tell what may be the problem. It could also be the format of the files are not correct or the USB drive is not formatted correctly, which would need to be formatted for FAT32 file system.