Can I play FIFA 12 on a Mac?
Question by Unkle Ruckus /

I want to buy an Apple Mac but I have doubts it can play games like FIFA 12. Is the Mac a good platform for gamers?

• Patrick

I’m playing fifa 12 on a macbook pro retina and works great.

• Evan

For some reason fifa 12 on my retina doesnt work…whenever i open it and get to the “play/game settings” menu and click play the game never launches…any ideas?

• Alex

Evan, is you delete FIFA 12 from you retina, then download it again, it may work.

• Tiago Faller

C’mon guys, Fifa 12 is already disponible for Mac.

Take a look here:

https://gametreemac.com/EA-Electronic-Arts/Buy-FIFA-Soccer-12-Mac-Download

Technically you can play FIFA 12 on a Mac like any other game or application.

Whenever there is no native version for the Mac – as it is the case with FIFA12 – there are various options to run Windows programs and games on a Mac:

– Bootcamp
    Which at it’s core can be seen as a multi-boot – you get the full performance of your hardware.

– Virtualisation (VMware Fusion, Parallels, VirtualBox, …)
    As with all virtualisations there is a noticeable hit in performance especially on low- to mid-end hardware

– Compatibility Layer (Codeweaver CrossOver, WineBottler, …)
    The main problem of such solutions is that compatibility is limited and wine is rather slow. In my opinion not the right solution for games.

As with a regular Windows PC performance depends on your hardware. When using Bootcamp requirements for games can be seen 1 to 1. When using Virtualisation or (worse) wine you definitely wan’t a lot of RAM and ‘one level’ better hardware than recommended.

If you get a higher specced Mac with dedicated graphic card, you can certainly play games (and run windows ) either with bootcamp or more easily in a virtual machine. VMs are easier, but you’ll take a performance hit. Bootcamp isnt really worth the hassle in my opinion. Don’t buy a Mac for gaming if thats your primary use case. If you actually want to get work done, then a Mac would be much more productive.

• Alan Wade

This link will explain about running Windows and windows software on a Mac:
    http://www.squidoo.com/Pc-Games-On-Mac

• ferdinan Sitohang

i’m not suggests you use your mac for game, since it was designed not for game. PC is the best platform for gamer. FIFA 12, i don’t think that you can use it in MAC. Thank you

• musicphann

FIFA 2012 does not have a Mac version. Most gamers go PC because there is a wider selection for them. Steam has brought quite a few games to the Mac platform recently but again, PC is the way to go for games.