How can I play a DVD on my computer?

Aisha September 27, 2011

When I put a DVD in my computer, it says ‘Windows can not find this file’. (File: VIDEO.IFO) Please, what do I do?

Hello, a couple of questions, do you have a dvd reader/writer in your system?  If the dvd was burned by you, what programs was it used to burn it?  If it is a dvd you bought/rented, is it in good shape?  Provided you have a dvd drive, the best thing for you to do would be to try a different dvd and see if you get the same results.  The only thing I can think of that can cause that, is if the dvd was burned to quick.  It is recommended to burn dvds at slow speed, 4x max and if possible under 4x.

What type of DVD is it and what program have you tried to play it in?

In general the IFO file contains informations about the corresponding VOB (Video Object). This could be navigational information like chapters but also where to find stuff like audio tracks or subtitles.

A dedicated DVD software like PowerDVD or the Windows Media Player within Windows 7 might give you an error about those missing IFO files.

But you should still be able to play the DVD or at least the included VOB files in a video player like VLC or any other that supports this file type.

• Aisha Assefa

Thank you so much.  I've just downloaded VLC video player and thank god! my dvd is now Working fine. I had my computer rebooted recently and it must have been removed then.

Many thanks