Is it possible to play Battlefield Play4Free in Ubuntu?

Gustavo Ibarguengoytia April 5, 2011

I am running Ubuntu 11.04 alpha 3 and would like to play Battlefield Play4Free.

The site says I need Windows Vista or Windows 7. I have tried using Wine and PlayOnLinux before for other games, but never they worked or I always managed to get it wrong.

How can I play this game on my computer? If possible with put the aid of Wine and PlayOnLinux.

Thanks.

Battlefield 2 does run on Linux. However, there are some texture, resolution, and other miscellaneous issues that have proven a bit more difficult to tackle than they were for Steam.
    http://vostrolinux.blogspot.com/2007/11/setting-up-battlefield-2.html

Copy d3dx9_24.dll and d3dx9_25.dll from your windows installation to /home/YOURUSERNAME/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32

Then type

wine regedit

Then Quote from link:

"Then I navigated to HKEY_CurrentUser>Software>Wine>Direct3D. Now I had to add a new string to enable Off screen rendering. I right clicked New>String and entered:

>OffscreenRenderingMode

To set the value, I right clicked on OffscreenRenderingMode and clicked Modify. For Value Data, I put in:

>fbo
    "

Some reported that punkbuster doesnt work in wine.

Maybe this can help you
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=23058

Punkbuster bundled and Wine
    Bundled with software in many popular online games such as Battlefield 2, America's Army, Call of Duty, F.E.A.R, Prey, Far Cry and many others.
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=5813

2. Alex

You can't really play the game for free if the OS it needs to run on isn't free. The requirements are surprisingly lower than I would expect, but a virtual machine still probably wouldn't be a good idea. It's always good to go above the minimum requirements. With a virtual machine, you would be limiting how much your virtual machine would be able to use. You would be running Windows inside of Ubuntu. The whole thing. That would not be very good performance-wise. So you would want to have a much better computer than what they want if you would want that to work. And even if you have a good-enough computer, you would still need to get Windows, which is not free. Windows 7 Home Premium costs about $120. XP is even more. And I would stay away from Vista, so I'm not even bothering to check how much it would be. So unless you already have a legal copy of Windows 7, you're going to pay the $120 (or more). So you'd want a pretty good computer that you can use a virtual machine to run Windows in, with the $120 (or more) operating system to run as the virtual machine. That's quite a lot for a free game. You can get another hard drive to run Windows on, but that's not going to be free either. You could try to partition your hard drive to install Windows on, but Windows might want to delete your Ubuntu installation when you install Windows 7. But even if you can get a cheap way to smoothly run Windows on your current computer, you're still going to pay the $120, unless you get a pirated version. But that wouldn't be the best choice, because it's not the most legal way to do it. There's also the choice of getting a big enough flash drive that you can put a "live" version of Windows on, but then your computer will only go as fast as your USB ports. But it's definitely possible.
    So if you want to go through all that just to play a that one free game, go ahead. But before you do anything too big, make sure you try the game on someone else's computer to make sure it's actually worth it. It's not up to me to decide what you will do. But if that's too much work for you, Ubuntu has a good amount of free (and fun) shooters you can play on. So whatever you decide to do, just make sure you will have fun in the end.

• Jonathan Wong

Seems like the "play4free" is a scam then if it doesn't support multiplatforms.  EQ shall hear from my lawyers on the matter of scams!  I kid.  I wish BFP4F had Linux support.  Hell, I'd pay $30 even if that game is free for just Windows users.

You can find the requirements at the following link:
    http://battlefield.play4free.com/en/forum/showthread.php?tid=19080

In general you will need a full working Windows environment including Internet Explorer (for best compatibility), .NET Framework 3.5 and 4 and the latest DirectX - all within one emulation instance.