How can I play .avi videos on my iPhone?
Question by Surendra /

I have 3 questions.
1) Is there any app that could play .avi videos on an iPhone? (jailbroken ofcourse)
2) How can I copy .avi or other format videos to the iPhone?
3) How do I add subtitles to movies on the iPhone?

• ss

AVPlayer!!!! Drag avi files into AV Player via itunes and watch on your phone.

• Surendra Ghanta

HD Player app looks great. Supports sub-titles also.

• monsterp

FLEXPLAYER – download the app, then just drag and drop your videos into the app in itunes.  It could not be easier.  I’m so happy with this app and there is no conversions to do!  :-)

• Ray

Jay, I have one converter I purchased that has good editing, I have another that is Freeware called Xmedia Recode.    3gp has many options, from frame sizes and rates to bit and data rates.    Also several Codecs available as options.

This is the first time I have had cause to use it for anything, but it’s nice to be able to convert a list, copy to phone and have them there.

Ok not as good as spending 1700 for a Mac + iPhone where everything is everywhere (or is it….)… enjoy… I am

ok, so all your problems/questions are solved now? or you need more help?
      (always look for free and quality alternatives before paying,
      like format factory, it merges subtitle file automatically when you convert a video.)

• Ray

Yes I have it all figured out.  Thank you…

ok, glad that finally it is done !

ps:
      H.263 and H.264 AVC- the MP4 codec which should work on android.
      If you have any problem related subtitles, you can read my previous comment.

i told you, the mp4 will work but the codec should be compatible, try format factory for various codec conversion.
    also the screen resolution matters if your screen is 640×360, you cant run bigger resolution.
    and 3gp also is not bad, you can convert hi quality 3gp.
    genereally people think that 3gp is low resolution and low quality.

• Ray

This is close to what I am trying to do, so rather than ask a different question let me pursue it in this realm.   

From what I read here .mp4 will play on i-phone, will it play on Android?

Part 2, how to transfer file from windows computer.   My Motorola Blurr has app that lets me copy file from and to it.   What directory would I place the file in to be able to play it.

yes, android will support, mp4 ( also depends on the codec of mp4).

all phones have something like connecting it to pc with a data cable.
      but i think the universal option will be, transfer data from/to memory card by connecting the card directly to pc using a card reader.

• Ray

The app I was referring to is called pdanet.   It presents the memory card to the system through a usb cable so it behaves just like you plugged it into a card reader.  

• Ray

The question I am finding it hard to find is where to put the video file…

search existing videos on card
      and paste it in the same folder from where you found it.

• Ray

FYI, I had no videos.  So I recorded a snippet.   It was in directory DCIM/Camera.  I took that video got its specs (it is a .3gp file Data rate 300, Bit rate 5, frame rate 30 with (AMR Narrow band audio mpeg-4 video) codecs.

I converted a small mp4 to that format.    I copied the original and the converted.  The converted 3gp plays the original MP4 does not (which I expected).

I converted the snippet to a .mp4 file with specs as close as I could get.  It would not play…

Just information…  So far from what I see you need the .3gp format to be able to play on my Motorola Blurrrrrrrrr

A couple of options. You may install VLC player app on iPhone (it can play avi files as well as many other video formats). OR you can convert videos to MP4 format using one of the free video converters (for Windows, for Mac) and transfer them to iPhone.

If you’re going to be watching around the house, I’d recommend a astreaming solution like AirVideo instead, which handles format conversions live and shows subtitles fine. The process of converting and then copying to your phone is always going to be more effort than it’s worth, jailbroken or not. 

1.2. Convert your videos to iphone compatible format using format factory.
    3. add subtitiles using format factory.

download : http://format-factory.en.softonic.com

are you talking about subtitles of downloaded movies or your home videos ?
    because subtitles of movies can be downloaded from internet (may be you have them already) and can be attached to the movie using format factory.
    else you will have to write your subtitles for home videos or something.