How can I play AVI files on my new TV?

Claire Holford October 19, 2012

I just bought a Toshiba 22DL702B. The main thing I wanted to use it for was to play .avi files, but whenever I plug in my USB, it says unsupported format. Is there any other way of playing these files? Thanks in advance for any help.

1. Alisa Fish

You need to know what format is playable on your TV, and then convert AVI video to the right one.

2. Jeremiah Iliffe

You could convert the file using a converter such as Handbrake or google for some other options

3. shaurya gupta

Use audials available on the MUO rewards page to convert form avi to someother supported format....And try formatting the usb drive.

4. Gerald Derricutt

I had troubles with sony playback,
    your video needs to be in avi format or xvid sound use mpeg2
    best thing to do is to try it on a small video clip first to try,then you are not wasting a lot of time
    my flash drive is formatted in xFat,
    if you don't have the manual you can find it at
    Hope this is of some help

5. Ali Mirdadi

If the usb is ntfs format, try to format it to fat32. It works in my tv but i use my harddrive

6. Dino Pearsons

Using HandBrake ( you can convert your video files into Xvid, and you'll be able to play them. The app is free and is available for Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

7. Alex Perkins

Many TV's only play MP4 for some reason, like my Samsung. I used Freemake Video Converter to convert my .avi and .mkv files to MP4.

8. luke clayhill

Hi I had the same problem. My best advice would be download "any video converter professional" it's free, and easy to use. Convert avi into whatever format your Toshiba uses.

9. Dimal Chandrasiri

what it says that is, the device doesn't support the file format of your USB device. try formatting it to FAT32 to and see... it should work.

10. Adrian Rea

Actually, does the term "Unsupported format" come up when you plug your USB in, or when you click a file to play? Your USB must be FAT32 formatted not NTFS or other. It must be USB2 compaitible. Can you see the files you want to play?

11. Adrian Rea
    • Harish Jonnalagadda

Yeah the model does not recognize DivX files from the USB

The File System in which your USB is formatted is not supported by your TV. Kindly format the USB drive in a file format that the TV recognizes and then copy the avi files into the usb and then give it a shot. File Systems supported should be in the handbook of the TV. Also as far as I know it supports DIVX, so probably a DIVX format will also help for the video files.