Why is PlainText saving files in Dropbox without asking?

Maxim Moneta April 24, 2012

I use an app called PlainText to edit text files stored in my Dropbox account, however recently it has been saving files without asking. This causes encoding corruption in some cases and simply breaks the file. Please help!

1. Oron

Sounds like a problem (or "new feature"!) in PlainText, so I suggest you have a look at their support pages and perhaps ask in their user forums.

2. Glynn Sole

Dropbox automatically saves any files or updates that are in the Dropbox folder. If you don't want changes saved you should move the file out of Dropbox before you edit and save to a different location.

• Maxim Moneta

Glynn I never heard any more stupid advise, I'd better delete this fancy application..
      It killed several files even though I've just opened them, no edit. Why it saves the file which is not changed?

I am just wondering what the idiot writes specs for that. Why there's no info about encoding support and why it saves unchanged file?

Even simple text edit is something these developers couldn't implement, hope they will never do projects for construction, medical or NASA :)

• Glynn Sole

Maxim,

Stupid is the person who insults out of hand whilst being too dumb to find the information they need even though there is access to it on this very page http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/download-using-the-magic-pocket-a-dropbox-guide

Perhaps it should be Maxi Moron

• Maxim

It's you - Glynn! :)

Maybe you're too emotional or old to understand that if my dissapointment with software bring me to extra time to restore data and developers who didn't add or warn about non-supported encodings or file save process which was not needed and corrupts data - send me to dummy docs (like you) - then they're idiots.

I need clear and logical replies, otherwise I keep my opinion about moron's.

Now questions again:
          - how to use this app and prevent corruption of files in non-supported encodings?
          - why save operation is done by app immediately after loading file? (bug?)
          - Who are these people replying on my question? :)