Is there a place to view website source codes from web designers?

shaurya gupta October 10, 2012

Gow to get source code of a website? Of course it is CTRL + U, but I am talking about some place where some professional web designer uploads the code of a good looking website, so that others can study that code. Ain’t there such a place?

1. Adam Lynch

Have a look at the max.css idea (http://daneden.me/max-css/). This would be along the lines of what you're looking for. Also, maybe you contact the designer. Have a look for indication of who made it. If there's no declaration on the site itself (usually in the footer), check if there's a human.txt (http://humanstxt.org/)

2. Marian Cimbru

Or use Firebug extension for Firefox, from http://getfirebug.com/

3. Nala Dimapunong

Point your mouse/pointer to a blank space of a website then right-click then "view page source."

4. Mihovil Pletikos

try hotscripts.... i always find everything i need there

5. Jason

There are a couple of good sources for code snippets, or whole pages. Here's a summary of some of the better ones:

http://www.smashingapps.com/2011/05/25/ten-best-collaborative-sites-for-quick-code-sharing.html

Smipple is probably my favorite.

of course i know this stuff...but actually the problem is a bit different..i dont want the scripting code of some webpage....instead i want the html code with the css. That is because i wanna know how a professional would do some webpage work...so is there a place where i can get the code(full) of a webpage.or can some one of MUO readers send me the css code at givehtmlhelp at mailinator.com

7. Adrian Rea

As suggested there are a number of ways to see the source of the code that hits your screen but it can be very different from server side code which builds the page at the server before sending it out to you at home. These you are unable to see and you will need to learn from a book or site how to script server side, not from seeing the end product.

• Harish Jonnalagadda

This is true. Most of the code that is viewable in a browser deals with how the site is rendered.

• shaurya gupta

Actually i want the layout and the design code of a webpage, not the scripting ones...so i want a place where some professional has put the css and html code of a nice looking webpage which i can dowload?

• Arron Walker

What Adrian is saying, is that many of the good looking webpages use server script to construct a webpage and send it to you. There is almost nothing you will find with the constraints you've suggested, that can not be found with Ctrl + U. There is no such place for HTML and CSS as you're hoping. I'm afraid you're going to have to follow the previous suggestions. As they said, if you're not willing to learn without the shortcut, you're not cut out for what you're trying to do.

• Arron Walker

What Adrian is saying, is that many of the good looking webpages use server script to construct a webpage and send it to you. There is almost nothing you will find with the constraints you've suggested, that can not be found with Ctrl + U. There is no such place for HTML and CSS as you're hoping. I'm afraid you're going to have to follow the previous suggestions. As they said, if you're not willing to learn without the shortcut, you're not cut out for what you're trying to do. People put a lot of work into designing clean websites; a place for people to study code is a place for them to steal it.

• Jan Fritsch

By pressing CTRL + U you do get the (final) design code of the webpage that is rendered in your browser. The HTML will be "right there" and any additional (linked) CSS or JS can be found in the header section.

The thing is that professionals usually don't have a lot of html code. The final code that is going to be rendered is usually created server side (e.g. when using PHP).

I think a good example to understand this is to look at XML and XSL(T).
        At the following link you can see an example of a database (in this case XML, on the web mostly SQL or Postreq) and the code that transformd this data into HTML, the XSL style sheet (on the web mostly PHP).
        http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/xsl_transformation.asp

Summerzied, professionals usually don't code an entire page. They create templates for certain content and elements that are put together on the server side.

8. Erlis Dhima

Here you can find several codes:
    https://github.com/
    Its the place where all coders discuss and more..
    It's a social media about programming stuff! Explore around, maybe you will find something about web design codes..
    But, if I talk about myself a little, I won't share with no one the code I used to design a web page! If I am to build a very professional design, it might take me months to build it.. So, explore the web for more tutorials, and be creative, if you want to build a cool website! If you are not creative, then you are not for this job!

• Harish Jonnalagadda

GitHub is incredible!

9. Jan Fritsch

You can find little bits and peaces of code all around the web but that's about it I think.

For the full source code things are quite simple:
    Things that are not shown within the source code in your browser are things the developer usually doesn't want other people to copy.

It's intellectual property as it takes a lot of time and effort to write and costs a lot of money for the one "ordering" it.

10. Michael Nolan

You can download any web page from within the IE browser by going to the File Menu and clicking on File > Save As... then select 'Webpage, complete'. as the 'Sas as type'. This will save all of the code and the images, as well. It is a good way to learn coding. you can use the free Komposer editor from Mozilla to look at, edit and experiment with the code of the page(s) you download. Good luck!