Do you still use pirated software?

Divit Dsouza March 25, 2012

Do you prefer paying for security/maintenance utilities or as a matter of fact any other utility? Or do you go for the free alternatives? Or do you just get yourselves the pirated ones?

Hello, you could find alternatives for paid software if you are not inclined to pay for them.  This is an example of a site where you can find:

http://alternativeto.net/

and another one:

http://www.osalt.com/

2. Hview

for security and maintenance i use freeware and also some time open source and other utilities the pirated is the best solution anyone have

3. M.S. Smith

Pirated security software? Haha. That sounds like a winner.

But in general, no, I don't use pirated software. I've never been a fan of it. And these days, there are simply to more software available than I would ever use.

Some companies do use annoying DRM, particularly when it comes to games. But because there are so many options I simply don't buy the software with bad DRM.

• Tsde34

"Pirated security software? Haha. That sounds like a winner." You have NO clue what you're talking about MORON !

Some of the software I use were free from the makers.  For example, I got Windows Vista Ultimate for playing games on Bing, I got Windows 7 Ultimate for hosting a HouseParty about a week before general release, I got Office 2007 Ultimate for allowing MS to monitor my program usage for a year (got the software about 3 weeks after signing up), and my AV is free from being part of one of the AV company's testing teams.  I also got a copy of MS Visual Studio 2005 Standard a few years ago, but I don't remember what was required for that one.

VirtualBox is free as are almost all of the operating systems I run in it.  TeamViewer is free as I use it only to help out family & a few neighbors (non-commercial usage).

Then there are the ones that I find where various blogs are giving away license keys (file converters, system enhancements, and various other utilities), such as Advanced System Care Pro (1 yr license), MacX DVD Ripper Pro, etc.

There have been a few instances where I have pirated a copy of software and all of them have been handled in the same way.  When I get a lot of questions dealing with software I have never used I will sometimes find a pirated copy which I will install in a VM, find the answers to the questions and then can the entire VM.  If, during that testing phase, I find that I like the software, I will find a means to get a legal copy of it.  This usually means finding a site that is giving it away or locating it on a software dump site (generally a previous version) since the US poverty line is waaaayy over my head.

Like others have said, there are free alternatives to most software out there so as long as you have an internet connection, software piracy is not necessary.  And if you really like the software, donating to the cause is always a good idea since it encourages further development of something you find useful.

5. Faisal Wahab

well me being a newbie in these things i prefer pirated or cracked software torrents but as i will get paid versions as soon as i become a professional designer, blogger etc :D

6. Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

We are not going to say you can do something illegal, as it is in more than half the world. 

You can find a Open Source free piece of software that will do want you want it to.

Also, I can honestly say, I have never pirated software, never had to. But I am a linux guy so I am very familiar alt. software.

It doesn't matter what we do, if you want to download something you shouldn't, You need to look at the consequences yourself and make the call. We will not get into trouble because you downloaded illegal software.

7. Osama

BOTH.......

8. Chris Hoffman

There's lots of free and open source stuff. I'd caution against using pirated security programs -- if you have to get a third-party crack for your antivirus, that's just scary (even if it was legal)

9. Denis Paley

I use Freeware until I find a program that really works well and then I'll normally upgrade to the paid version. I feel if the program is that good at what it is supposed to do then the developers deserve to get some payment for all their work. There is no reason to use pirated programs with all the free alternatives available.

10. Indronil Mondal

What i need is available for free so why need to do piracy or pay for softwares..
    there is always a free alternative.