Why can I ping websites, but not access the internet using IE or Firefox?

Levi Sheriff March 9, 2010

I have a computer that I have dumped and reloaded Windows XP at my home. I was able to get on the internet and download all of the Service Packs. I shut down.
Took the computer to the neighbors house who is on a different broadband ISP. I was on technical support with that ISP they had me PING yahoo, google, and I did with no problem. 4 packets sent, 4 packets received. I was not able to access with IE6. In IE6, I went to Tools–>Internet Options–>Programs–>Hit the reset web settings button.
So, I brought the computer back home. Was able to get back on the internet and I downloaded FireFox. Went back over with the computer. Installed FireFox there. Couldn’t get to google. Then went to the control panel and into add/remove and removed IE as a Component. Then readded. Still not able to get on.

I am sure that it is something easy. I would appreciate your help on how I should rectify the situation and allow this person to get on the internet.

Have you brought the computer back to your home and tried it again on the same connection where you downloaded the service packs? Normally when you can ping but not access sites it is a proxy server setup in IE or FF.

2. Taty

the main question here is, are you connecting directly to their ISP modem or through a router? It could be a few things. If they are on DSL, some companies still require an id and password to connect if you are connecting directly to the modem without a router in between. What company does your neighbor use?
    Have you checked the settings on your computer to see if it's set to automatically detect connection?
    Control panel > internet options > Connections > Lan Settings > Automatically detect settings.
    Give us a bit more info and we can be more specific :) And good luck.

3. Digital Photography Tips

Seems like something is firewalled on port 80. Try "telnet http://www.google.com 80" in command prompt and see what happens.

So if I understand you correctly, the internet works fine at your house on your computer, but when you take it to a neighbors house, your computer can't access the internet? Can your neighbor access the internet on their computer?

I would first log on to your neighbors router to ensure it is allowing your computer to access internet resources. There may be MAC filtering, or access rules that are blocking websites. I know with my router, when I block a website, I can still ping it, but it just doesn't load in the web browser.

Another thing to check is your proxy settings on your web browser. In FF, go Tools --> Options --> Advance --> Network --> Settings --> Auto-detect proxy settings. Unless of course you are using a proxy, you should select Auto-detect.

But I think it will have to do with your neighbors router denying you internet access on your computer.