Why is my phone’s settings memory full, even after all settings have been deleted?
Question by Nimbu Paani /

Phone : Nokia 3610a (Symbian S40, version 5)

Problem in brief: Cannot add new mailbox, or make new configuration settings.
Reason: Memory Full

Problem in detail: My phone has ~25MB internal memory, of which I never use more than 1MB. Freeing phone memory and keeping it clean from hundreds of messages helps it in performing faster. The trouble is, after saving and deleting tens of configuration settings from different service providers, I cannot save any more. Not even after I empty my phone of all settings that there are! Not even after a factory reset! The settings memory cannot be a ROM, can it?

Does anyone else have this problem, or can anybody tell me why is my memory full, and how can i free some so that i can set up a new email mailbox?

check the application or collections ..search everything on your cell that uses phone memory

• Nimbu Paani

Guys, thanks for giving it a thought. I reckon a new firmware is the only way out. :(
    I hope it comes out soon.

What i wanted to say is that to reformat and install a fresh firmware no update but a clean one. This can be done by a specialiste in your area?

Possible something went wrong when changing on suite configuration. while synchronizing with the nokia email servers something went wrong.

text messaging settings on a Nokia

WAP Settings for Java Application on Nokia

If you have a real memory problem then look for a software that optimize memory and clean itMemoryUp Pro

• Nimbu Paani

No, there has neither been any problems with PC Suites, nor with email server syncs.

Your links are not quite relevant – there was nothing close to what i want to do.
      The only tools i have to make changes to my phone’s internal memory are the format option and Nokia Software Updater. I updated my phone’s firmware from v3.53 to v3.56 using Nokia Software Updater an year ago. It increased my phone’s stability a good deal, but i don’t remember if it did a complete wipe of all existing phone data. Maybe not. To make things clearer, the settings memory got full even after i kept deleting useless configurations. Presently, i can keep three configurations at most – whereas sometime back, i could easily keep more than 10 at a time. Also, earlier i could make more than one mailbox, and now i cannot even make one – not even if i delete all configurations!

I cannot go to Nokia Care asking them to flash my phone because:
      a) My phone is well out of warranty
      b) That would cost me $$$

And no, i know nobody who flashes Nokia phones, hard to say of S40 phones for that matter. Besides, i can’t be 100% sure if flashing my phone would be a safe thing to do.

As an aside question, How does one flash a phone by himself? What are the necessary tools?

P.s. – For me, hard-flashing will be a last resort before i give up on this one.

Well if there are background soft that are continuously running then they will eat memory

I understand that going to Nokia specialist to reinstall a new firmware is money cost, now I do not recommend you to flash yourself to not make things worth, you will need nokia official firmware (i dont have it!), to give you an idea how it works!!…http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f299/flash-bb5-original-nokia-firmware-without-phoenix-344689/remove sd card,  the battery and leave the phone to dry of power  (10h) then reinsert battery and power on the phone so this will reinstall the interface and you will have to reconfigure settings.you have also to consider it maybe the phone is at the end of full life power.

do you have any applications installed like “life blog” in your phone?
      check out your installed apps…
      it creates back up of your texts and media…delete those duplicate files..
      may be it will solve your problem.

• Nimbu Paani

if you have a memory card inside the phone remove it and check again.

Flash the firmware

• Nimbu Paani

Removed the MicroSD card > Booted the phone > Tried creating mailbox > No go.
      Put the card back in > Booted > Tried Again > Still NO GO.

Nokia Software Updater shows there is no new firmware available for my phone (it’s an RM-429, btw). And i’ve already tried doing full factory resets (so please don’t suggest me that).

Any ideas?