What phone should I buy for around $200?

Rajaa C May 19, 2014

I want to purchase a new budget phone at around INR 11,500 to 12,500 ( apprx. US $ 200 ). I am thinking three phones, and all are of different ecosystem altogether. They are the Moto G, Nokia XL and the Nokia Lumia 630. Which one do you recommend ? If there are any other suggestion, beside these three within the budget specified, you are most welcome. Kindly avoid suggesting Chinese and Indian brands? I am based in India and the phones suggested, should be available here.

1. Rajaa C

Thank you all, decided on Nokia Lumia 630 dual SIM with WP8.1 . :D

• siddhant

I don't really get why would anyone go for Lumia 630 whose hardware and software is inferior to Moto G.

• Aditya R

@siddhant u save 2k plus nokia has muchh better after sales service compared to motorola.

• Siddhant

I see your point. Well if its money than its acceptable. If one is going after Nokia, I see Nokia XL a nice competitor to Nokia Lumia 610. XL has more ram. bigger screen and a secondary camera but Lumia has a much better cpu and gpu. A secondary camera is mandatory for most of the people because selfies. Also, XL had android with an android development community over internet.

Siddhant : Being a 45 year old guy, I am not really into selfies or skype in mobile. :) I skype from my Windows 8 PC. I have previously used a Samsung JellyBean android mobile and currently use a Lumia 520. At lower price point and which I am searching a mobile, from my previous personal experience, Android lags, while Windows Phone OS flies. The joy that my Limia 520 with WP8 gave me, I have not experienced that in the android experience. Yesterday I tested out the lumia 630 and moto g at Reliance Digital, before purchasing, and again the lumia brought a smile to my face. Probably, sometime do test out the Lumia 630. :)

• Siddhant

That explains it. I accept android is for young who loves tweaking and experimenting different ROMs on their smartphones. I see, you require stability and yes Windows provides it. This was exactly the reason I recommended my dad a windows phone instead of an android phone. Go for Lumia 630.

2. Mojo

Moto G is killer phone in the same price range or atleast below 20K budget

3. Rajaa C

Guys how about a Blackberry Z10, currently available at around US$ 230 over the internet in India, brand new. :D Would like some opinion on that.

4. Siddhant

Moto G all the way. You get a 720p display which is just sweet. Further Android is more suited for Indian Market. Our ISPs are not exactly precise. They would often turn your 3G connection to 2G connection if you are not using force 3G. One of the problem I faced on my dad's Nokia Lumia 520. There is no option to force 3G in windows platform. Also, moto G has a large development community. You would always have up-to date android. Further, Android plays every format thanks to 3rd party apps like MX player which is also absent from Windows Platform. If you still encounter some Windows XP computers, android provide usb mass storage which is supported by default unlike MTP which requires additional drivers. Nokia XL is waste. Low ram and low resolution really is a deal breaker. Moto G offers complete smartphone experience.

5. prashant bhawsar

Go for Moto G

6. Aditya R

if u r a gamer go for moto g, otherwise lumia 630 is a better option, as its cheaper than moto g 16gb. And has a better camera compared to moto g.

Tested out games too on Lumia 630, no lag and pretty impressive graphics.

7. Dushyant Ahuja

Try the Xolo series of phones - I've been using a Q700 for the past year (INR 9,000) with no complaints.

• Rajaa C

No Indian or Chinese brands please as suggested in the question itself. Not because of the hardware or the finish, more for the after sales service issues. No one have a comprehensive network in place and mostly the after sales service experience has been generally bad.

8. Angi G

Like another person already said, it depends on what OS you want. Windows for the Nokia, which I personally am using right now and love. It's easy to use and there are some really good apps. However, Android is what I prefer and will be switching back to soon. Have you looked into a used or refurbished Samsung Galaxy S3? You can get those for under $200. That's what I'll be getting soon. Good luck on your search. Take your time and do the research before you buy, and if you buy used, make sure it has a clean esn!

9. Shebin S

Go for "moto E @INR 6999" , moto G =12999, Lenovo S660, Nokia 520, 620,525, Sony Experia M

Try these options...

• Rajaa C

Moto E is a good value for money phone but I am looking at higher specs at Moto G, all the Lumia series you have suggested is the earlier generation with older hardware specs and WP8 so I am looking into the latest 630, Lenovo has a Mediatek CPu, prefer SnapDragon, Sony Experia M is also pretty old hardware specs, I can get better specs and the price point nowadays.

10. dan

elephone p8 - looks really nice

• Rajaa C

Never heard of the brand Elephone, I do not think is available in India. However, a similarly spec phoe is launced in India at around US $210, known as iBerry Auxus Nuclea X.

11. Doxitron56250

What you need to do is make up your mind which OS you wanna have on your phone, what are it's advantages and disadvantages. I don't agree with what Susendeep D said about support because so far Moto G received latest updates very quickly, and Microsoft doesn't have the best history of supporting it's phones. (Windows phone 7.5 didn't get the update to 8, but to 7.8 even though it was promised for 8)
    I'd recommend you to think about the features you want on your phone(is a MicroSD and removable battery a must?). I'd personally go for the Moto G because it has better screen and bigger battery(and it also run on the newest version of Android :D )

• Rajaa C

I am open to any OS, want a best buy at my budget. I used to used earleir a JellyBean Sammy phone and currently use a Lumia 520. Just tested out the Lumia 630 dual SIM yesterday night, may go for it. Pretty impressive at the given price point.

12. Raul S

The Moto G

Since,you've used Android much,then Nokia XL would be a waste of money for you.It's for those who are new in Android and want to buy a trusted brand with large screen size phone.

Between Moto G and Lumia 630,I would recommend you Lumia 630 as it's latest and comes with Windows 8.1 which is supported much longer than Android OS.Also,added advantage is that it comes with Miro SD card slot which you might miss when you get Moto G.

• Rajaa C

Yean almost 90% now decided on the Lumia 630 dual SIM :)

14. Mariane Rae Ocaya Andrion

What phones that are touch screen and only P 200.00 to buy? My parents don't have the money and I have no phone anymore and I want to call and text my crush oilime. Please help

• Rajaa C

If P stands for British pounds, then you can get a lot of good phones at that price. Checkout Nokia Lumia 635 around 130 GBP