What causes phantom mouse clicks in Windows 7?

Rick January 8, 2012

I don’t know whether this is a hardware or software issue.

My wife has a Toshiba netbook (don’t laugh) running Windows 7. When on a menu or a webpage, it will suddenly jump to something else. It seems as though just hovering over an item or link without selecting it will activate it.

She uses the pointing device on the netbook, not a mouse. Does this have to do with the pointing device or is it perhaps a feature of Windows 7, with which I am unfamiliar?

1. PC Evil Genius

Synaptics driver and/or flawed/over-sensitive pad - try to readjust sensitivity. You can get the same "oh crap" effect on the new Lenovo pads - a casual finger touch on the pad and off you go... then too perhaps some people just express more electro-static energy than others.

2. Leo

Snap-to settings might be turned on if the mouse automatically jumps to a check box or menu item. To make sure this is turned off,

1. Open Mouse Properties by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type mouse, and then click Mouse.

2. Click the Pointer Options tab and under Snap To, make sure the "automatically move pointer to the default button in a dialog box" check box is unchecked. If it is checked, uncheck it and then click apply/ok.

This happens to me as well, but on my desktop. It is most noticeable in Facebook. When you go to click on a "Like" button, it suddenly moves a few pixels down. It also happens in Windows Explorer. When I want to click on a folder, the folder moves slightly down just as I am about to click on it/hover over it.

4. Jay.0

Stop using external pointing device for a day.
    if the touchpad of your netbook works fine,
    then we can blame the pointing device.
    if it does not, the mouse settings or touchpad driver is the problem.

• Sonny Bass

Reread the question!

• Jay.0

My mistake ! situation is reverse.
        Then try an external mouse to find out whether "the pointing device on the netbook"  is the reason of the problem !

Hello, what is the touchpad software in used in your netbook?  It it has to do with touchpad software configuration.  Look for an entry for Synaptics or Alps.  Once you find the program, open it and play with the configuration settings.  It should give you more options than windows options.  If needs be, make sure to check for updates to software/drivers.  You can also access this through device manager configuration. 

6. Sonny Bass

You might want to make sure the synaptics driver is up to date. Go to 
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp click download,make the selections for your model. After I reloaded Windows on my Toshiba once I had some similar problems due to the fact that Windows used a generic driver.

Control Panel > classic view > Mouse > click the large pointer icon >
    click Touchpad Settings. Go to Touch Sensitivity, move the slider
    towards Heavy Touch. The "heavier", the less sensitive is the pointer.
    http://www.technade.com/2007/05/how-to-disable-touchpad-in-laptop.html