How can I personalize the default views in Windows Media Player?

donkeytappr July 3, 2010

I actually like Windows Media Player. What I don’t like is that it never remembers that I prefer my files to be organized according to genre, followed by artist. Is there a way to force Windows Media Player to do this without having to force the issue every single time I return to a page?

Are you talking about sorting files by genre in your playlists or somewhere else? You mention "page", so it's not clear what you mean.

Assuming you simply refer to your playlists, did you save your playlist after selecting your preferred sort order?
    Also see this article from Microsoft.

If you were indeed referring to playlists, how did you get the "genre" category in Windows Media Player. I only see title, artist, album, release date, rating, and file name.

• donkeytappr

No, I am talking about the listing of movies, or music, or whatever. I click on the link (left side of the player) for "Videos", and WMP lists them by name. I prefer the "Details" view. Then I click on the "Genre" bar above the list of videos. Now WMP still lists all my videos by name, but grouped by genre first (if you need an example of this open any folder on your system, right-click it and select "group by type"). I was hoping there was a way to set WMP to open to this view as default.