Why don’t I have permission to open the My Documents folder?

Bob K. October 17, 2011

When I open some folders like My Documents or something with a check mark next to it, I receive an error message that says “You don’t have permission to access this file.” Why, and how do I get around that? The other folders open regular.

1. Brooke

I Have that same problem!!!

Brooke,

Did you try FIDELIS' suggestions? Why did they not work? We can only help you if you provide us some more details.

Bob,

did you try any of the fixes suggested by FIDELIS? Please let us know!

Hello, are you the admin for the system or a standar user?  One possible solution would be take ownership of the My Documents folder.  I figured you are using XP because of the My Documents.  To take ownership a folder you can do the following:

For example, to give the administrator full rights for C: drive, you can do the following:

-- click on start
    -- select run
    -- type cmd
    -- right click on command prompt and select run as administrator

-- type the following and hit enter
    takeown /a /f C:

the /a switch gives permission to administrator
    the /f switch specifies the file name or directory name

For you user to take control of C: drive it would go like this: 

takeown /f C:

These commands should give the administrator account and your account full privileges.
    Before trying the steps above you might want to try turning indexing off on the affected folders to see if it works.  If it does not work you could try the steps above. 

You might also have to use the cacls command, at least to see you has the ownership of the file:

http://www.computerhope.com/cacls.htm