How do I permanently remove data from hard disk so that it can not be recovered by any software?
Question by Kashif Maqsood /

I am planning to sell my old PC (Core 2 Duo) and buying a new one (Core i7). There is a lot of personal data stored on my hard disk. Even if I delete the data or format the hard disk, I know there are certain recovery softwares or other techniques which can recover the deleted data.

So I want to know if there is any way that I can permanently delete the data stored in the hard disk before selling the PC so that it can not be recovered later by any means?

• maria

wipe the disk with 3rd party partition wizard.
    then no one,
    no software,
    can recover the data.

• Alex Perkins

Do a zero fill pass multiple times, I think the standard for the FBI and military is no fewer than 11 passes!

• TC Dixon

The only tool I use is a hammer,I don’t believe that there is any software that I would trust to permanently clean a drive.Why take a chance.

• cypherinfo

Help, talking about the best of the best (commercial) I’d suggest you: EST-tec eraser 2012; it is able to erase data beyond any hardware recovery! I mean that rely on wave shape.

Thank you.

• Amit Sinha

The best way is to use hard disk shredder software which deletes all the files and make it impossible to be recovered by any software.

Search on Google for shredder software

• Tony Batty

Their is no fool proof way of doing this, best you just sell the system without HDD, their are too many softwares that will still recover the info from a drive, even after using these so-called zero formats or HDD erasers.

• Irshaad Abdool

Use CCleaner to permanently wipe data beyond recovery

• April Eum

you can try a hd shredder but like you said, they don’t exactly wipe out everything, but my best guess is to do a complete factory restore on your computer. i guess it depends on which pc you’re using, but most of the time, continuously pressing F8 when starting up will boot you up to a repair screen where you can manage to restore to factory (stock) state. it’s safest and most secure way. it’s like turning on a new computer, you have to set up wireless network, name your computer etc.

• sanjay_addya

Use a zero-fill software to erase the complete hard drive or use Darik’s Boot and Nuke Software http://www.dban.org/ to permanently erase the hard drive