How do I modify my hosts file?

Cristián T January 1, 2014

So I was using the following link to try to permanently disable ads on Skype for Windows 7:

What had happend was, I went to C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc and located the “hosts” file. I opened that same file in Notepad and added an extra line that says the following.

# Block Skype ads

0.0.0.0 rad.msn.com

When I tried to save it, I changed the save as type type from “Text document” to “All files”, and save it under the same name and file type as the file I’m intending to replace. When that is done I click save and a dialog box asks me if I want to replace the existing file under the same name and file type, and when I click “Yes” another dialog box comes up and says that access was denied.

Please help me find a solution to this problem. Thank you very much.

1. Arun S

Instead of manually editing Hosts file i use BlueHosts file editor which makes the process lot easier and faster. follow link to use it.. http://www.sordum.org/8266/bluelifehosts-editor-v1-1/

as always do a backup of the original host file to recover back if something goes wrong

3. Alan W

Rather than mess about with the hosts file, try this HTG solution: http://www.howtogeek.com/173448/7-skype-tips-for-power-users/

4. Md Mukhtar M

you need to take the ownership of hosts file ,

here is a link to do so

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

• Md Mukhtar M

this will add take ownership to your right click menu , just right click on hosts file and take ownership ,then you will be able to edit and save it on same place

• Bruce E

Ownership of the hosts file should belong to the system only, not any individual user account on the system. This solution has the potential to weaken the overall security of the system and should not be performed. If the user account that has ownership of this file happens to get hacked, having full control of this file would allow an attacker to replace it with their own file which can then redirect your requests for google.com, microsoft.com, every bank they can think of, and anything else they wish to replace to any other site of their choice, including what would most likely be look-alike sites so the appearance of the legitimate site may convince you to use it as you normally would, possibly sending sensitive information to someone with ill intent.

Your best bet: leave the ownership of system files alone. When necessary, edit your hosts file with temporarily granted administrative permissions (start Notepad with Run as Administrator...). When you are done with the editing, close that copy of Notepad to terminate the additional access it has to the system.

The location where you are attempting to save the file is a protected system directory. You need to open Notepad as an Administrator (go to Start - Accessories - right-click Notepad and select Run as Administrator). Open and edit the file here and you will be able to save your modified version of the file.