How can I perform a criminal background check online?

Gary August 9, 2011

Can’t find out how to start a free criminal background check on someone using your website.

Please give instructions.

Thank you!

1. William James

I always have to shake my head whenever I read about how it seems to be a big question mark as to why the recidivism rate is so high for people coming out of prison. This would be one major factor. The way things are now when you finally pay back your debt to society it follows you around for the rest of your life. In the terror age most employers check backgrounds especially when it gives them a break on their insurance and they have a no tolerance policy in regards to felons now. There is no seven year limit in most states. Besides once it's out there it's all but impossible to get rid of it. So even if you make a mistake as a young adult 18-24 it will ruin your career ambitions for most of your life. It's not even worth it for ex-felons to go back to college because all that will happen is they will be in debt and unable to use it for a job anywhere. Take it from someone who knows. I got in to a fight when I was 18 with a 34 year old guy at a party who was harassing a 16 year old girl. He got hurt and I went to prison for Aggravated assault (I know it seems unbelievable to get that charge for a fight but it can happen when you have a public defender and an overzealous prosecuter). While I was in prison this same guy was convicted of molesting and raping his 8 and 4 year olds. The people that know me in my small town supported me but little good it does when at 30 after working at a place for 8 years I get laid off and can't find a place that will hire me because this is still on my record. You don't even get a chance to explain what happened once that record comes back.I can understand someone not having a support system and falling back in to a life of crime just to pay the bills when even me ,having a support system, is stuck pulling out my hair with worry not knowing what to do. It's a hopeless feeling to know you will never get past your past.

William,

what happened to you sounds very unfair and it must be incredibly frustrating. It's even unfair for people who have rightfully served their time. They have received a punishment and that should be it. They should not be denounced for the rest of their life.

Anyways, the only way out I see is to employ yourself. You have unique skills, try to use them and work independently. Maybe if you make a good name for yourself through a great idea and hard work, you will get another chance.

• The Last Dark Fallen Angel

Unless you get hooked up with the wrong woman, who's ex likes to dig and found that information... Then you can lose your business, reputation in that town, all because you hid it from everyone. There is a REASON you MUST disclose that info when applying for jobs.... Just because you made a mistake in the past, there is NO REASON to hide it... unless your trying to repeat the mistake.  The only way to move on is to accept what has happened and learn from it, keep your nose out of other peoples business, and get the PROPER authorities and be a CREDITABLE witness for the victim.

Gary,

we have covered this subject on MakeUseOf here:

15 Websites to Find People On The Internet
    Background Check: Run a Background Check On Anyone via iPhone

Does this answer your question?

Jesus, you can actually do that? America is so messed up. This is considered private information in England, by the way. Only the police and organizations that actually need to know that kind of information can obtain that. 

Messed up indeed and ruthlessly violating people's privacy.

In some States, courts make transcripts and documents of cases available as PDF documents online. Indexed by Google of course. Imagine what that can do for your career...