How can I perform a clean installation of Windows XP on a laptop without a CD ROM drive?

bnmiler July 22, 2011

I have MSI laptop with no CD ROM and need to perform a clean install of Windows XP. What is the safest and best way to do that?

1. ksbwings

Set up Win by USB.   I suggest u to use UltraISO.

what you need are
    1) Format ur USB
    2) UltraISO software
    3) ISO file that contain WinXp or any Win.
    4) Let ur Bios Read USB as abootable object instead of CD [otherwise Press F12 during the start of boot ur computer to select the Booting Style]

*Watch this youtube tutorial to learn how to prepare ur USB for booting window
    The Video title is: How to Mount windows 7 iso and make a bootable USB using UltraISO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08-s1sZyqOs

The Method is also applicable with WinXp. just only get an ISO Xp win to prepare the USB Booting

**here is the link for the software;

http://www.mediafire.com/?jc4rx6c5950rmuz

Hope that it helps u.     

Hello, do you have more than one computer?  if you do, you could copy the image of the installation disk to the other computer's harddrive and create a network share.  In order for you to be able to do that, your laptop has to be able to startup with your ethernet card.  You should be able to go into BIOS an see if that is an option for you. 

Another option and an easier one, would be to copy the disk to a usb harddrive/flashdrive and start the installation from there.  Again, as the other option, your motherboard has to be able to startup from a usb harddrive.  Check BIOS, to see if your computer has that option on BIOS.  To access BIOS, startup your laptop and keep pressing delete key.  It all depends what motherboard you have, your best bet to find out what key to press is watch your computer at startup and see what key you have to press to go into setup.  Next time you restart your computer, press that key as soon as you startup your computer until it takes you to BIOS.

• bnmiler

Thank you, I will check out network share thought.

• bnmiler

You're right, I should've wrote if anybody knows how to perform above procedure without slipsream and AHCI off.....