How many people own and use smartphones?

Andrew McCauley September 15, 2010

How many people in the USA (and the world) actually use smartphones?

1. Shreesundara

How many blind people use SMART PHONES?

I'm doing research for a school report, and the data I've found indicates that more than 108 million people worldwide own an iPhone, with another 304 million owning iPods. In addition to that, 25 million people own an iPad. The total number of people who own an iOS device (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad) is 250 million. Hope that helps.

4. Angela Alcorn

In the iPhone versus Android poll, less than 7% claimed to use neither.. and some of those still used *something*.

I guess that leaves very few people without one. :)

5. Steve Campbell

I'm gonna go ahead and say almost everyone.

• Guest

This is definitely age-related or perhaps personality related. My 17 year old son doesn't want to be tied to a phone and often leaves his behind. I don't want the price tag of a smart phone.

Hi Andrew,

interesting question. I did a quick search and found this:

It doesn't say how many people own / use smartphones, but it gives you an idea how many phones were sold, i.e. how big the market is.

• Andrew McCauley

@Tina, thanks. It's similar to what I've run across as well, but I'd love to have more granular information. I guess that should have been in the original question. I'd love to know who bought them (individuals? businesses? age? gender? income level?) so that I can better gauge who the true audience is for things like iPhone apps, Android apps, WebOS apps, video available online for mobile consumption.