Why do people who had a question rejected almost never submit it again?

Tina September 1, 2010

At MakeUseOf Answers, I have to reject about 15-20% of all incoming questions.

In my rejection message I greet the person with their name, provided they specified one. I always explain the reason/s why the question was rejected. Moreover, I try to help them provide a better description, for example by asking questions regarding the issue they described or listing the details that were missing. I also ask them to submit their question again. Finally, I sign with my name.

You see, I meanwhile put quite some effort into rejecting questions. I used to give a very short rejection message and over time adapted it to encourage people to submit their question again. Nevertheless, most of these questions never return.

Any idea what could be the reason? General frustration because the question was rejected? Laziness? Rejection message too intimidating? Or are they just not able to provide simple details, typically operating system, type of hardware, exact error message etc.? What else could be the reason?

If you recently had a question rejected at MakeUseOf Answers, what did you think of the rejection message?

Thank you in advance for your input!

1. Jessica Cam W.

Yes, I think people either just want an instant answer, don't want to bother with editing the message, would rather post their questions elsewhere, or just plain don't know what 'tech' details to include (when it comes to people who are not very tech-savvy). Maybe people are also too used to Yahoo! Answers' way of instant publishing their questions. You shouldn't worry too much, though, Tina, since you're doing your very best by giving them a descriptive message.

• Susendeep Dutta

I agree with you.Tina is best with her job and is doing good.

2. hamsolo474

they get the hint

3. Susendeep Dutta

There are many possibilities .Some want quick solutions and some cannot manage to get necessary details.Some cannot get to understand their problem and how to state it.

4. Angel

I think is not a simple answer, most people want an instant answer, others can think they have enough with a problem and don't want or cannot find more information, others maybe have found a solution.

By the way, congrats Tina for your work, I think MakeUseOf's Answer and the way is implemented make this site more incredible, if that is possible.

Thank you Angel.

I have to share this compliment with Aibek and especially Jorge, who wrote the WordPress plugin for Answesr and takes care of all tech-related issues with the site.